Is Berkeley or UCLA Better for an Applied Math Undergrad?

In summary: Berkeley is more liberal than UCLA with regards to social issues, such as LGBTQ rights. In addition, Berkeley is known for its activist community, which is great if you're interested in getting involved in politics. UCLA is more liberal than UCLA with regards to social issues, such as LGBTQ rights. In addition, Berkeley is known for its activist community, which is great if you're interested in getting involved in politics.
torquerotates
Hi, I'm a applied math major who has trouble deciding between Cal and UCLA. I know that Cal is slightly more rigorous. Also, Cal's graduate mathematics is ranked #2 in the nation. So I'm wondering if this equates to Cal being #2 for undergrad since there hasn't been any rankings published regarding undergrad ranking of specific fields(except engineering).

So to get to the point, I like UCLA better but Cal's prestige is very tempting. So much so, that if Cal is significantly stronger academically, I might choose it.

Any advice would be appreciated(if possible, lists some pros and cons of both schools). Thanks.

BTW, I need to decide soon!=(

Physics news on Phys.org
terry tao is at ucla

Likes Sriram Bharadwaj
While Berkeley is rated a bit higher than UCLA, I think the prestige factor of an undergrad degree would be pretty minimal between the two schools. You would get a top-notch education at either place. Your best bet for deciding would be to tour both of the campuses, sit in at a class or two at each one, and talk to some students there. Find out which one feels "right" to you. When you enjoy the overall school environment, you will do better, both academically and socially/recreationally.

UCLA is more well-known as being somewhat of a party school.
Berkeley is quite politically active and liberal, though you would not be exposed to this as much if you major in maths.

usahockey said:

Oh, please. Just because we run through the streets in our underwear during finals week..

While Berkeley students run through Main Stacks NAKED at midnight... except for that one guy who was on rollerblades...

If you've been accepted to both, visit the campuses and decide that way or start evaluating other non-academic factors. It doesn't matter that much academically. (For grad school, it's a different story since the active research groups and interests of the faculty affect what you can do for your own research.)

Are you kidding?

My husband is a professor in the Applied Math Department at UCLA. It's definitely not a party school.

ETA: By the way, here's something to consider: the cost of living here in LA is quite high. If you decide to live off-campus, expect to spend at least $600 per month for rent for an apartment that you share with at least 3 other people.

Last edited:
Geezer said:
Are you kidding?

My husband is a professor in the Applied Math Department at UCLA. It's definitely not a party school.

ETA: By the way, here's something to consider: the cost of living here in LA is quite high. If you decide to live off-campus, expect to spend at least $600 per month for rent for an apartment that you share with at least 3 other people.

the only major parties are at the fraternities, so its easy to avoid them. also, i live off-campus and pay $450 per month with 2 other people

FAQ: Is Berkeley or UCLA Better for an Applied Math Undergrad?

What are the main differences between Berkeley and UCLA for undergraduate education?

Berkeley and UCLA are both highly respected universities, but there are some key differences in their undergraduate programs. Berkeley is known for its strong emphasis on research and academic rigor, while UCLA has a more well-rounded approach to education with a focus on both research and practical experience. Additionally, Berkeley is a larger and more diverse campus, while UCLA has a more intimate and close-knit community.

Which university has a better reputation for undergraduate education?

Both Berkeley and UCLA have excellent reputations for undergraduate education, and it ultimately depends on the specific program and field of study. Berkeley is consistently ranked as one of the top public universities in the country, with a strong focus on academic excellence. UCLA also has a top-ranked undergraduate program and is known for its diverse and dynamic campus life.

What opportunities are available for undergraduate research at Berkeley and UCLA?

Both Berkeley and UCLA offer a wide range of opportunities for undergraduate research, with access to cutting-edge facilities and renowned faculty. Berkeley is known for its strong emphasis on research, with many opportunities for students to participate in independent research projects and work alongside faculty members. UCLA also has a strong research culture, with opportunities for students to get involved in projects within their chosen field of study.

How do the tuition and financial aid packages compare between Berkeley and UCLA?

In terms of tuition, Berkeley and UCLA are both public universities and have similar prices for in-state and out-of-state students. However, Berkeley typically has a higher cost of attendance due to its location in the expensive San Francisco Bay Area. Both universities offer financial aid and scholarships to eligible students, with UCLA having a slightly higher average financial aid award per student.

Which university has a better campus and location?

This is a subjective question and ultimately depends on personal preferences. Berkeley is located in the vibrant and diverse city of Berkeley, just a short distance from San Francisco. Its campus is known for its historic buildings and beautiful views of the Bay Area. UCLA, on the other hand, is located in the bustling city of Los Angeles, with easy access to beaches and other cultural attractions. Its campus is known for its iconic architecture and beautiful outdoor spaces.