Bernstein's Polynomials for f(x)=x and f(x)=x^2: Sequence and Formula

• Thread starter Artusartos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
B_2(x)= f(0)\begin{pmatrix}2 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}x^0(1- x)^2+ f(1/2)\begin{pmatrix}2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}x^1(1- x)^1+ f(1)\begin{pmatrix}2 \\ 2\end{pmatrix}x^2(1- x)^0= 0(1- x)^2+ 1/2(2x- x^2)+ 1x^2= x^2+ x/2.In summary, the sequence of Bernstein's polynomials for f(x)=x is B_nf
Artusartos
Find the sequence [itex](B_nf)[/itex] of Bernstein's polynomials in

a) f(x)=x and

b) [itex]f(x)=x^2[/itex]

Answers (from my textbook):

a) [itex]B_nf(x) = x[/itex] for all n.

b) [itex]B_nf(x) = x^2 + \frac{1}{n} x (1-x)[/itex]

I know that the bernstein's polynomial is:

[itex]B_nf(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n f (\frac{k}{n}) \binom{n}{k} x^k (1-x)^{n-k} [/itex]

...but I don't know how they got the answer from this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you used that formula to calculate, say, B0 through B5 for f(x)= x and f(x)= x2? That should give you an idea.

HallsofIvy said:
Have you used that formula to calculate, say, B0 through B5 for f(x)= x and f(x)= x2? That should give you an idea.

But how can I calculate [tex]B_0[/tex]? If I say n=0, then

[itex]B_nf(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n f (\frac{k}{0}) \binom{0}{k} x^k (1-x)^{0-k} [/itex]

So f(k/0) is undefined?

Sorry. Clearly "B0" is not defined so calculate B1, B2, etc.

For example, with f(x)= x,
[tex]B_1(x)= f(0)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}x^0(1- x)^1+ f(1)\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}x^1(1- x)^0= 0(1- x)+ 1x= x[/tex]

Related to Bernstein's Polynomials for f(x)=x and f(x)=x^2: Sequence and Formula

What is Bernstein's polynomial?

Bernstein's polynomial, also known as the Bernstein basis polynomial, is a type of polynomial function that is commonly used in mathematical analysis. It was first introduced by the Russian mathematician Sergey Bernstein in the early 20th century.

What is the purpose of Bernstein's polynomial?

Bernstein's polynomial is primarily used for approximating other functions. It is particularly useful in areas such as numerical analysis, computer graphics, and statistics.

How is Bernstein's polynomial different from other types of polynomials?

Bernstein's polynomial is unique in that it is defined on a specific interval, typically between 0 and 1. This allows for more precise approximation, as it is easier to manipulate and control the values within this interval.

What are the advantages of using Bernstein's polynomial?

Bernstein's polynomial has several advantages, including its ability to accurately approximate other functions, its ease of manipulation within a defined interval, and its ability to converge to a function at a faster rate than other types of polynomials.

What are some real-world applications of Bernstein's polynomial?

Bernstein's polynomial has a wide range of applications, such as in computer graphics for creating smooth curves and surfaces, in numerical analysis for solving differential equations, and in statistics for fitting data to a polynomial curve.