The Berry Connection and Gauge Invariance in Quantum Systems

• I
  • Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary: Consequently, the gauge redundancy in the definition of the Berry connection ##\mathcal{A}_{k}(\lambda)## should be just a mathematical convenience.
spaghetti3451
The Berry connection ##\mathcal{A}_{k}(\lambda)## of a quantum system is given by

$$\mathcal{A}_{k}(\lambda) \equiv -i \langle n|\frac{\partial}{\partial \lambda^{k}}|n\rangle,$$

where the ket ##|n(\lambda)\rangle## depends on the parameters ##\lambda^{k}, k=1,2,\dots## in the system.

The field strength ##\mathcal{F}_{kl}## of the Berry connection ##\mathcal{A}_{k}(\lambda)## is defined by

$$\mathcal{F}_{kl} = \frac{\partial\mathcal{k}}{\partial\lambda_{l}}-\frac{\partial\mathcal{l}}{\partial\lambda_{k}}.$$

Therefore, we can define an analog of Maxwell's theory with the Berry connection ##\mathcal{A}_{k}(\lambda)##. As such, we expect the Berry connection ##\mathcal{A}_{k}(\lambda)## to be gauge invariant. In other words, there must be a gauge redundancy in the definition of the Berry connection ##\mathcal{A}_{k}(\lambda)##I was wondering if you guys have any idea about the physical meaning of this gauge redundancy for some state ##|n(\lambda)\rangle##.

Physics news on Phys.org
This basically means that the Berry phase remains invariant under the gauge transformation ##|n(\lambda)\rangle \rightarrow e^{i\phi(\lambda)}|n(\lambda)\rangle## (i.e. addition of a phase factor to the instantaneous eigenstates). This transformation modifies the Berry connection ##\mathcal{A}(\lambda) \rightarrow \mathcal{A}(\lambda) + \nabla \phi##. However, if ##\phi(\lambda)## is single-valued, then the Berry phase does not change.

Ok, but say you take a particle in a box and rotate the box in parameter space in a closed loop, like you usually do in Berry phase analysis.

What is the physical source of the gauge transformation of the Berry connection in this case?

As I understand it, there is no 'physical source' - simply put, it just means that
1. There is a certain gauge freedom (similar to electrodynamics, in which different gauge choices do not affect the physical quantities observed), and this is nothing more than saying that ##|\psi\rangle## and ##e^{i \theta} |\psi\rangle ## correspond to the same physical state.
2. The Berry phase fits the characteristics of being a true observable - it is not an artifact arising from our gauge choice.

failexam said:
the physical meaning of this gauge redundancy
Gauge invariance means precisely that there are degrees of freedom without any physical relevance, and corresponding gauge transformations that tell how the variables can be changed without changing the physics.

Likes QuantumQuest

What is the Berry connection?

The Berry connection is a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that describes the geometric phase acquired by a quantum system as it evolves along a closed path in parameter space.

What is gauge invariance?

Gauge invariance is a principle in physics that states that the mathematical description of a physical system should be independent of the choice of gauge or coordinate system used to describe it. In quantum systems, this means that the physical observables should not depend on the choice of phase factor in the wave function.

Why is the Berry connection important in quantum systems?

The Berry connection plays a crucial role in understanding the geometric phase and topological properties of quantum systems. It is also used in the study of adiabatic quantum computation and quantum information processing.

How is the Berry connection related to gauge invariance?

The Berry connection is closely related to gauge invariance, as it describes the phase factor in the wave function that is affected by changes in the gauge or coordinate system. It is also a manifestation of the gauge potential in quantum systems.

What are some practical applications of the Berry connection and gauge invariance in quantum systems?

The Berry connection and gauge invariance are used in various fields of physics, including condensed matter physics, quantum optics, and quantum information processing. They have also been applied in the design of quantum algorithms and in the study of topological phases of matter.