Bessel functions in vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses a vector field in cylindrical coordinates, with m and k being integers that satisfy certain conditions. The focus is on finding simpler analytical formulas for the divergence of the field and a particular integral involving Bessel functions. The conversation also mentions the existence of orthogonality relations for Bessel functions, but the speaker is still seeking help in solving the integral. They mention two formulas that could potentially be useful, but are unsure how they are obtained and inquire about other relations for Bessel functions of different orders.
Enialis
I need to solve this general problem. Let's consider the following vector field in cylindrical coordinates:
[tex]\vec{A}=-J'_m(kr)\cos(\phi)\hat{\rho}+\frac{m^2}{k}\frac{J_m(kr)}{r}\sin(\phi)\hat{\phi}+0\hat{z}[/tex]

where m is an integer, and k could satisfy to:
[tex]J_m(ka)=0[/tex] or [tex]J_m'(ka)=0[/tex] with a real.
(the apex is used for the derivative respect to r)

In this case I need to express the divergence of the field and the following integral:
[tex]\int_0^a\int_0^{2\pi}(|A_r|^2+|A_\phi|^2)r\,dr\,d\phi[/tex]

Is it possible to found simpler analytical formulas for general m for the results?
Where can I found useful relationships for the bessel integrals involved? thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the divergence of the field I found:

[tex] \nabla\cdot\vet{A}= kJ_m(kr)\cos(\phi)[/tex]

using recursive formulas for the Bessel derivatives.

I still need help for the integrals, in particular does the bessel functions have particular orthogonality relation that admit to solve:

[tex] \int J_m(x) J_n(x) x\,dx = ? [/tex]

Last edited:
Ok, but that relation does not help me so much. In this example I need to solve an integral of the form:
[tex] \int_0^a J_{m+1}(kr)J_{m-1}(kr) r\,dr[/tex]

I found only two useful formulas (that include the result of eq. 53):

[tex] \int J_m(kx)J_m(lx)x dx=\frac{x}{k^2-l^2}[kJ_m(lx)J_{m+1}(kx)-lJ_m(kx)J_{m+1}(lx)][/tex]

[tex] \int J_m^2(kx)x dx=\frac{x^2}{2}[J_m'^2(kx)+(1-\frac{m^2}{k^2x^2})J_m^2(kx)][/tex]

Now my question is: there are other relations for Bessel functions of different order? (Jm, Jn). I do not know how these formulas are obtained...

I don't know if the attached formula could help you :

Attachments

• Product of BesselJ.JPG
    Product of BesselJ.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 420

1. What are Bessel functions in vector field?

Bessel functions are a type of special function that arise in the solution of certain differential equations. In vector field, they are used to describe the behavior of vector fields in terms of their magnitude and direction.

2. What are some applications of Bessel functions in vector field?

Bessel functions in vector field have many applications in physics and engineering, including in the study of electromagnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in signal processing and image analysis.

3. How are Bessel functions in vector field calculated?

Bessel functions in vector field can be calculated using various methods, such as using a series expansion or using recurrence relations. They can also be approximated using numerical methods.

4. What are the properties of Bessel functions in vector field?

Bessel functions in vector field have various properties, including orthogonality, recursion, and analytic continuation. They also have different orders and can have both real and complex values.

5. Can Bessel functions in vector field be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, Bessel functions in vector field have many practical applications and are commonly used to solve real-world problems in various fields of science and engineering. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing vector fields and their behavior.