Best 2D animation/drawing software for science youtube videos?

In summary, the conversation involves a person looking for a 2D animation software that is suitable for adding simple animations in science class and for YouTube presentations. They are specifically interested in features such as mixing texts, animation, and PowerPoint. They also mention wanting to use the software for creating biology drawings and manipulating images, such as changing the background color of elements in a periodic table. The person asks for recommendations and mentions considering Toon Boom as an option.
christian0710
Hi which 2D animation software would be good for adding simple animations in science class and for youtube presentations?.
Eksamples would be: how galvanic cells work, simple biology drawings of cells, DNA etc.

I’d like a program that’s quite straight forward but also gives me a lot of features, such as mixing texts, animation, powerpoint. For eksample I have a picture of the periodic table , it would be nice if i can cut it into the 2d drawing software, select and change the background color of the elements of interest into yellow.

What programs do you use? And what could you recommend?

So far I've considered toon boom after reading a bit about it :)

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Thank you, toon boom still looks quite attractive :)

1. What are the top features to look for in a 2D animation/drawing software for science youtube videos?

The top features to look for in a 2D animation/drawing software for science youtube videos include a variety of drawing tools, the ability to import images and videos, customizable animations, and a user-friendly interface for beginners.

2. Can you recommend a budget-friendly 2D animation/drawing software for science youtube videos?

Some budget-friendly options for 2D animation/drawing software for science youtube videos include Pencil2D, Krita, and OpenToonz. These software are free and open-source, making them accessible for all users.

3. Is it necessary to have prior experience in animation to use 2D animation/drawing software for science youtube videos?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in animation. Many 2D animation/drawing software offer tutorials and guides for beginners, and with practice, anyone can create engaging and informative science youtube videos.

4. How important is the quality of graphics in 2D animation/drawing software for science youtube videos?

The quality of graphics is important in creating visually appealing science youtube videos. Look for software with high-definition drawing tools and the ability to export videos in different formats to ensure the best quality for your viewers.

5. Are there any specific 2D animation/drawing software that are best suited for scientific visualizations?

While any 2D animation/drawing software can be used for scientific visualizations, some are specifically designed for scientific purposes. Examples include Adobe After Effects, Toon Boom Harmony, and Blender, which offer advanced features for creating scientific visualizations.