Best Book for Calculus of Variations

In summary, for studying the calculus of variations, the book "Calculus of Variations" by Robert Weinstock is recommended. It covers not only calculus of variations but also other related topics. It is suitable for someone with a masters degree in mechanical engineering and an undergraduate degree in math. Another recommendation from a user on Physics Forums is "Mathematics: Useful for Physics Classes" by Zz.
member 428835
Hi PF!

What book do you recommend for studying the calculus of variations? I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and undergrad in math (if that helps you decide fro a book thats's not beyond my level).

Thanks!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you both for the advice! I'll check out the books!

Related to Best Book for Calculus of Variations

1. What is Calculus of Variations?

Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution for a function that depends on another function or a set of functions. It involves finding the path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given quantity, such as the area of a shape or the time taken to travel a certain distance.

2. Why is a good book on Calculus of Variations important?

A good book on Calculus of Variations is important because it provides a comprehensive understanding of the topic and its applications. It helps in building a strong foundation for further studies and research in this field.

3. What are the key concepts covered in a good book for Calculus of Variations?

A good book for Calculus of Variations covers key concepts such as functionals, Euler-Lagrange equations, variational principles, and applications in physics and engineering. It also includes exercises and examples to enhance understanding and problem-solving skills.

4. How do I choose the best book for Calculus of Variations?

When choosing the best book for Calculus of Variations, consider the author's expertise, the book's organization and structure, its level of difficulty, and the availability of additional resources such as practice problems and solutions. It's also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other readers or experts in the field.

5. Is prior knowledge of calculus required to understand Calculus of Variations?

Yes, prior knowledge of calculus is essential to understand Calculus of Variations. A solid understanding of calculus concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and optimization is necessary to grasp the principles and techniques used in Calculus of Variations.