1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Books on Non commutative algebra......

1. May 24, 2015 #1
    Dear friends!
    I am interested to study quantum physics at deep level.For that I think I should be well versed with many mathematical tools.Though I have some knowledge of algebra up to Galois Theory and some more related topics of commutative algebra.
    I am a mathematics teacher(more a student rather).
    From my information I think I need to study non commutative algebra as well.Please tell if I am thinking right or not.Suggest better steps if any. Also suggest some very good books.
    I am passionate about beauty of nature and mathematics describing it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2015 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will need a solid understanding of complex vector spaces, and linear operators on complex vector spaces. "Linear algebra done wrong" by Sergei Treil will tell you what you need to know about finite-dimensional vector spaces and linear operators on them.

For quantum mechanics, I recommend that you study selected parts of any of the standard introductory texts (I don't know which one is best) and supplement it with "Lectures on quantum theory: Mathematical and structural foundations" by Isham. It's a fairly easy book that focuses on what the theory says, rather than on how to calculate stuff.

If you really want to dig deep into the mathematical aspects of quantum theory, you will need to study topology and functional analysis. Functional analysis is the mathematics of infinite-dimensional vector spaces. You need topology mainly to understand books on functional analysis.

I don't have time to elaborate any further right now, but I might add a few more comments and recommendations later.

4. May 24, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

5. May 24, 2015 #4
    Thank you very much friends!
    Soon I will reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted