Best Classes for Math & Science Career: A High Schooler's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's desire to pursue a mathematical and scientific career and their question about which classes would be most beneficial. The student provides an outline of the classes they have taken so far and mentions their enrollment in a community college for Algebra 1 and 2. Suggestions are given for taking higher level math courses and physics classes in preparation for college. The importance of finding a good professor and exploring other interests such as programming and language learning is also mentioned. A book recommendation, "Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman", is also provided.
stoorssarg
I am currently a high school student that has a desire to go into a mathematical and scientific career. I was wondering what future classes would benefit me the most in helping me achieve this goal. Here is a outline of the classes I have taken so far.

High School
Freshman - Physical Science and Algebra 1
Sophomore - Biology and Geometry
Junior (Classes I'm enrolled for 07-08 year) - Pre-AP Chemistry, Weighted Physics and Weighted Algebra 2
Senior - Classes are Unknown at this time

(My school offers a wide spectrum of classes. You name it we most likely got it)

College (Summer time)
I am currently enrolled at my local community college. There I am taking a combination of Algebra 1 and 2. But after I successfully completed my Algebra 2 for high school this will open a huge door of higher mathematics. And I was wondering was classes would be most benefit me for this particular career pathway I am interested in.

Any suggestions on books, scientific magazines, web sites, etc that might help me get a head start on the next year is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stoorssarg said:
I am currently a high school student that has a desire to go into a mathematical and scientific career. I was wondering what future classes would benefit me the most in helping me achieve this goal. Here is a outline of the classes I have taken so far.

High School
Freshman - Physical Science and Algebra 1
Sophomore - Biology and Geometry
Junior (Classes I'm enrolled for 07-08 year) - Pre-AP Chemistry, Weighted Physics and Weighted Algebra 2
Senior - Classes are Unknown at this time

(My school offers a wide spectrum of classes. You name it we most likely got it)

College (Summer time)
I am currently enrolled at my local community college. There I am taking a combination of Algebra 1 and 2. But after I successfully completed my Algebra 2 for high school this will open a huge door of higher mathematics. And I was wondering was classes would be most benefit me for this particular career pathway I am interested in.

Any suggestions on books, scientific magazines, web sites, etc that might help me get a head start on the next year is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

why would you be taking college algebra in the summer and then algebra 2 at school? take pre cal/trig in your junior year then take calc 1 the summer of your junior year and maybe physics 1 concurrently at community college then take ap calc 2 senior year then the summer in between high school and college take calc 3 and physics 2. you'll be one of the most prepared freshman ever.

it's difficult to give any sort of recommendations without knowing what choices you have for mathematics and physics courses.

i would recommend, however, taking at least calculus 1 by the time you graduate. if you can do calc 1 in the fall semester at the community college and calc 2 in the spring (also at the community college), that would be good, too.

no pre-calc class required?

I'm thinking about going into a scientific career that involves physics or something of that nature.

The reason why I wasn't able to take math 110 in this summer course is because the college wants you to have completed Algebra 2 in high school before you take anything higher.

I can tell you that it is great to already know material before you get to college where the material can be difficult. High school teachers are there everyday to help you, whereas you get to college and you're limited to office hours, your textbooks and others for help. That being said, I don't really believe there is really any reason to be this well prepared. Heck, I know a few people who didn't even see calculus or an in-depth physics course until college and did just fine. That's just my two cents.

if you take AP physics and enjoy it, then you should definitely know that being a engineer or physicist is right for you. Thats what happened with me. Before I took it, I wanted to be a medical doctor just becuase of the money.

In my experience, taking as much math as possible would be a good idea if you plan to go into physics. Many otherwise capable college students would be capable of taking more advanced physics classes, but are hindered by the mathematical requirements. Also, many high schools allow you to take college courses instead of high school classes, and get dual credit. If this is possible, then it would also be a good idea to take calculus-based physics 1 and 2 at your community college before you graduate. That way you'll be certain that you're interested in physics, and when you start college, you'll be a full year ahead in your physics classes.

It is good that you want to be prepared and if you take AP Physics or Intro Physics at a Community College, I wouldn't recommend trying to use these to test out of Intro Physics at University. A university class may be much different. This is my opinion of course, but I have heard many others who seem to think the same way. Good luck to you!

best prof = best class

I agree with mathwonk, it's all about the professor.

Learn a programming language. Take an electronics course. Study French or German or Japanese or Latin... Learn to cook!

As for extra-curricular reading, try "Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman".

1. What is the importance of choosing the right classes for a math and science career in high school?

The classes you take in high school will lay the foundation for your future education and career in math and science. By choosing the right classes, you will develop the necessary skills and knowledge needed to excel in these fields and have a competitive edge when applying for colleges or jobs.

2. What are the recommended classes for a high school student interested in pursuing a math and science career?

The recommended classes for a high school student interested in pursuing a math and science career include advanced math courses such as Algebra II, Geometry, Trigonometry, and Calculus, as well as science courses like Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Computer Science. It is also beneficial to take honors or AP versions of these courses if possible.

3. How can taking advanced math and science classes in high school benefit me?

Taking advanced math and science classes in high school can benefit you in several ways. It can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are essential for success in math and science careers. It also shows your dedication and passion for these subjects, which can impress college admissions officers and potential employers.

4. Are there any specific extracurricular activities or programs that can enhance my math and science skills?

Yes, there are many extracurricular activities and programs that can enhance your math and science skills. These include participating in math and science clubs, attending summer programs or camps focused on these subjects, and volunteering or interning at organizations related to math and science. These experiences can provide hands-on learning opportunities and help you build a strong resume.

5. What are some resources available for high school students to explore and prepare for a math and science career?

There are various resources available for high school students to explore and prepare for a math and science career. These include online courses, books, workshops, and seminars that focus on specific math and science fields. Additionally, reaching out to teachers, guidance counselors, and professionals in these fields can also provide valuable insights and advice.