Best Intro Gen Chem Textbook w/ *Conceptual* Questions?

In summary, the individual is looking for a comprehensive introductory general chemistry book that covers a wide range of topics and includes conceptual questions rather than just quantitative ones. They have a strong background in mathematics and found their previous textbook to be too focused on plug and chug methods. They mention Linus Pauling's book as a potential recommendation.
ricorico
Hello all,

I was wondering, what is a really great introductory general chemistry book/source (covers chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, electronic structure, electrochemistry, acid-base equilibria, etc.) that has a lot of conceptual questions and not just quantitative? An example is like the end of chapter questions in the older Giancoli Physics texts. I would like this book's content to still be rigorous.

The reason why I ask is because I have taken general chemistry, and I know it well in my opinion (at least from in the context of academia a.k.a getting an A on a test, but that doesn't mean anything nowadays), however my textbook was primarily plug and chug, and didn't have many questions forcing me to think about changing situations, perturbing conditions, or analyzing charts, etc. Coupled with my background as a trained mathematician, the plug and chug route was a bore and I felt like I didn't learn as much as I could have.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ricorico said:
Hello all,

I was wondering, what is a really great introductory general chemistry book/source (covers chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, electronic structure, electrochemistry, acid-base equilibria, etc.) that has a lot of conceptual questions and not just quantitative? An example is like the end of chapter questions in the older Giancoli Physics texts. I would like this book's content to still be rigorous.

The reason why I ask is because I have taken general chemistry, and I know it well in my opinion (at least from in the context of academia a.k.a getting an A on a test, but that doesn't mean anything nowadays), however my textbook was primarily plug and chug, and didn't have many questions forcing me to think about changing situations, perturbing conditions, or analyzing charts, etc. Coupled with my background as a trained mathematician, the plug and chug route was a bore and I felt like I didn't learn as much as I could have.

Thank you!

What book did you use for your intro class? We used Silberberg, wasn't a bad book, but I'm not sure how "rigorous" it was.

If you know calculus maybe try Linus Pauling?

I never took a chemistry course, however, I self studied from that book. I really liked it and it didn't feel like plug n chug.

1. What makes a chemistry textbook the "best"?

The best chemistry textbook is one that presents the material in a clear and organized manner, provides comprehensive coverage of the subject, and includes conceptual questions that challenge students to think critically about the concepts being taught.

2. Why are conceptual questions important in a chemistry textbook?

Conceptual questions help students to understand the underlying principles and connections between different concepts in chemistry. They also help to develop critical thinking skills and encourage students to apply their knowledge to real-world situations.

3. Can you recommend a chemistry textbook with a focus on conceptual questions?

There are many great chemistry textbooks with conceptual questions, so it ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the reader. Some popular options include "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown et al., "General Chemistry: Principles and Modern Applications" by Petrucci et al., and "Chemistry: A Molecular Approach" by Tro.

4. Are there any online resources for additional conceptual questions related to chemistry?

Yes, there are many online resources available for additional conceptual questions related to chemistry. Some popular options include Khan Academy, ChemCollective, and ChemEdX-Change.

5. How can I use conceptual questions to improve my understanding of chemistry?

To use conceptual questions effectively, it is important to first have a solid understanding of the basic concepts and principles in chemistry. Then, try to answer the questions on your own before checking the solutions. Reflect on your thought process and identify any areas where you may need to review or seek clarification. Discussing the questions with peers or a teacher can also be helpful in improving understanding.