Optimizing Wing Geometry for Maximum Lift-to-Drag Ratio

• Thread starter scanflyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary: First of all, XFLR5 is based off of the XFOIL code by Drela. The L/D numbers you are getting are very much idealized. You might see an L/D over 200, when in actuality the best of the best wings will get you an L/D of 60. These are wings on gliders with winglets and an aspect ratio of 20+. When you have a wing with a very high aspect ratio, holding wing area constant you risk decreasing the stall angle because you lower the Reynolds number of the wing. With an aspect ratio of 5, you will probably get an L/D of less than 10. 8 is probably more realistic.Also, why do you want an angle of attack
scanflyer
Hi,

I am trying to find a NACA-aerofoil for a given wing geometry (AR = 8, Taper: 0.35, Cruise CL = 0.05 at 0.6 degrees angle). Do any of you know if it is possible to find an aerofoil that will give this wing the best L/D-ratio at this cruise AoA (0.6 deg)?

I have done some analysis on several aerofoils on my wing using the XFLR5-software, but the best L/D-drag is usually achieved at an angle of attack of 3-4 degrees.

Or maybe the only solution would be to change the wing geometry? The cruise lift coefficient of 0.05 is very small, but due to some geometrical problems this can maximum be set to 0.1, giving an AR of 5. But even at this CL, I struggle to find the aerofoil giving the best L/D-ratio, or at least very close to it.

Hope someone can help me out with this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not an expert but low drag and low lift point to a thin symmetrical section. Perhaps look at NACA 0006 or NACA M1?

CWatters said:
Not an expert but low drag and low lift point to a thin symmetrical section. Perhaps look at NACA 0006 or NACA M1?

Thank you for your answer. That may be an option, the only problem is that this is a low speed wing, and I am afraid that the thin aerofoil will cause some poor low speed characteristics. So this might be an impossible task if I don't change the geometry.

Make it thicker and live with the extra drag?

CWatters said:
Make it thicker and live with the extra drag?

Yeah, I guess that is the only solution. Then I won't be able to reach the best L/D-ratio at cruising, by using NACA 64 012 for example

First of all, XFLR5 is based off of the XFOIL code by Drela. The L/D numbers you are getting are very much idealized. You might see an L/D over 200, when in actuality the best of the best wings will get you an L/D of 60. These are wings on gliders with winglets and an aspect ratio of 20+. When you have a wing with a very high aspect ratio, holding wing area constant you risk decreasing the stall angle because you lower the Reynolds number of the wing. With an aspect ratio of 5, you will probably get an L/D of less than 10. 8 is probably more realistic.

Also, why do you want an angle of attack of .6? That is probably well within your construction and flight precision limits. And if you want an airfoil with lift coefficient so low, why not just use a symmetric airfoil and to the wing apply a trim angle and twist. XFLR5 let's you play with the twist, so pick something basic like a NACA0012 with trim of 1 degree and see how you do.

1. What is the definition of lift-to-drag ratio?

The lift-to-drag ratio, also known as L/D ratio, is a measure of the efficiency of an aircraft or airfoil. It is the ratio of the lift generated by the shape of the airfoil to the drag caused by the air resistance. A higher lift-to-drag ratio indicates a more efficient design.

2. How is the lift-to-drag ratio calculated?

The lift-to-drag ratio is calculated by dividing the lift force by the drag force. The lift force is determined by the airfoil's shape and the angle of attack, while the drag force is the resistance of the air on the airfoil. This calculation can be done using mathematical equations or by conducting wind tunnel experiments.

3. Why is a high lift-to-drag ratio important?

A high lift-to-drag ratio is important because it indicates a more efficient design, which leads to better performance and fuel efficiency. In aviation, a higher L/D ratio allows for longer flight times and increased range. In other fields, such as wind turbine design, a high L/D ratio can lead to more energy production.

4. What factors affect the lift-to-drag ratio?

The lift-to-drag ratio can be affected by various factors, including the shape and design of the airfoil, the angle of attack, the airspeed, and the viscosity of the air. Other factors, such as surface roughness and turbulence, can also impact the L/D ratio.

5. How can the lift-to-drag ratio be improved?

There are several ways to improve the lift-to-drag ratio, including optimizing the airfoil shape, reducing drag by smoothing out surfaces, and using materials with lower friction. Adjusting the angle of attack and controlling airflow over the airfoil can also improve the L/D ratio. Additionally, advances in technology and computer simulations have allowed for more accurate and efficient designs.