What Are the Best Structured Online Physics Courses for In-depth Learning?

In summary, the doctor is looking for a course that is well-organized, follows a calendar, includes lectures and textbook material, has many exercises and practice examinations, and has good on-screen graphics rendering.
DelmarPete
Hello. I'm brand-new to the forum.

Can someone suggest some great online physics courses or point me to a location with that information?

Background notes
• I am a physician (ophthalmologist sub-specialized in corneal transplants).
• I have not practiced for many years due to a spinal core injury and resulting quadriplegia.
• My university courses (in physics and math) included only a course titled Physics for Science & Engineering and a year of Calculus.
• I have always loved physics but commonly become frustrated (when investigating a particular topic*) due to my lack of the basic physics/math tools required to proceed.
• I am not necessarily looking for a course that will culminate in an accredited physics degree as my main objective is to obtain the basic knowledge and proficiency characteristic of a bachelors/masters degree.

Course criteria
• I am interested in a course which is well-organized and follows a calendar with scheduled homework and exams. (Currently when studying various topics, I frequently find myself spending time on interesting but somewhat off-target tangents.)
• I'd also like to find a course which includes lectures and textbook material, but more importantly, large numbers of exercises and practice examinations, for which at least half of the problems include well-thought-out and clearly-explained solutions.
• The text/exercises/exams/solutions should contain an abundance of diagrams with excellent on-screen Graphics rendering.
• Finally, while it's always nice to find free resources, I am not opposed to paying a registration fee for a course which fulfills the criteria described above.

I've searched on several occasions for a site containing the above list of features but have yet to find one so I'm hopeful this post will result in a few good suggestions.

Thanks

*Some representative topics for which I would love to gain a better understanding:
• Maxwell's equations
• Einstein's field equations
• Schrödinger's wave equation
• many others

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, doctor. Very sorry that you suffered that life-changing injury.

Have you already looked into the Khan Academy and the MIT Online series of courses? I can find links to them if you haven't looked into them yet.

What are the best online Physics courses?

The best online Physics courses vary depending on individual preferences and needs. Some highly recommended options include courses from MIT OpenCourseWare, Coursera, and Khan Academy.

Are online Physics courses as effective as traditional in-person courses?

Online Physics courses can be just as effective as traditional in-person courses, as long as they are well-designed and taught by qualified instructors. Online courses often offer more flexibility and convenience for students.

What topics are typically covered in online Physics courses?

Online Physics courses cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. The specific topics covered may vary depending on the course and level.

Do online Physics courses provide hands-on laboratory experience?

Some online Physics courses may offer virtual or remote laboratory experiences, but it is not as common as in traditional in-person courses. Students may need to supplement their online course with in-person laboratory work if hands-on experience is required.

How can I determine if an online Physics course is reputable and high-quality?

You can research the course and instructor's credentials, read reviews from previous students, and look for any accreditation or recognition from reputable organizations. It is also important to make sure the course covers the necessary topics and has a clear structure and learning objectives.