Best place for physics in India -- Undergraduate

In summary: India.That document by Anirbit is very, very old. CMI has changed their syllabus a few times since that. I've e-mailed him a number of times and what he said was that if one is serious about studying physics, going to Europe, America and elsewhere in Asia (he mentioned the NUS; the universities in China and Hong Kong seem to have good doctoral placement as well) would be a better than in India. If one were to stay here, he recommended the IISc, CMI, NISER, IISER, BITS and IITs. Again, it's just the opinion of *one* person. There's other people who went there
nomad19095
This post is for those familiar with the IITJEE system in India. I wanted to know which IIT has the best physics department. If an unequivocal decision is impossible, please give me the advantages and disadvantages of whichever dep. you think is the best. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't been to any IIT but I've talked to a few person about undergraduate studies in physics in India and apparently the Kanpur branch is a good one to be at. If I recall correctly, they're also the ones who're changing their system to more reflect the American one, which means that the degree is now a four year B.S, not a five year M.Sc. There's an option to stay another year for an M.S.

There's also the Chennai Mathematical Institute which offers joint degrees in "Mathematics and Computer Science" and "Mathematics and Physics". They also require an exam but students having done well in the local Olympiads can apply without doing that. They also have a "placement" section under their website where you can see where their graduates have ended up, which is good to know if you want to do a PhD.

Mépris said:
I haven't been to any IIT but I've talked to a few person about undergraduate studies in physics in India and apparently the Kanpur branch is a good one to be at. If I recall correctly, they're also the ones who're changing their system to more reflect the American one, which means that the degree is now a four year B.S, not a five year M.Sc. There's an option to stay another year for an M.S.

There's also the Chennai Mathematical Institute which offers joint degrees in "Mathematics and Computer Science" and "Mathematics and Physics". They also require an exam but students having done well in the local Olympiads can apply without doing that. They also have a "placement" section under their website where you can see where their graduates have ended up, which is good to know if you want to do a PhD.

Are degrees from CMI good?Do they have good value?

IISC is best for Physics.

1994Bhaskar said:
Are degrees from CMI good?Do they have good value?

See for yourself:
http://cmi.ac.in/admissions/placement

You'll observe that the Math&CS students seem to have had more success than their physics counterparts...

Dr. Physics said:
IISC is best for Physics.

Based on what? Besides, they have not even graduate a single class from their new BS program yet! I believe the first graduating class will be that of 2015!

@Mepris Well, the quality of students that go there is good, and also, the program has a good reputation, not based on results, but on the quality of teaching. The teachers there are also researchers of a high calibre.

Their program feels too rigid and I get the impression, based on their timetable, that attending will feel like high school all over again. Further, they don't accept international students, so it's not like I can even apply!

At any rate, I much prefer CMI, largely because it is so flexible, has a solid program (although the new Physics program has yet to graduate anyone but the math&cs one is meant to be excellent) and it'll leave me with more freedom.

The BSc Physics course in CMI is actually quite horrible. Poor quality of teaching and lots of sarcasmic comments from the teachers. Check out this link:-

http://www.cmi.ac.in/~anirbit/CMI_Physics.pdf

But the Math & Computer Science program is pretty good.

jobsism said:
The BSc Physics course in CMI is actually quite horrible. Poor quality of teaching and lots of sarcasmic comments from the teachers. Check out this link:-

http://www.cmi.ac.in/~anirbit/CMI_Physics.pdf

But the Math & Computer Science program is pretty good.

Thank you very much.I am deeply interested in physics and thought of going to CMI.But after reading that article I don't think that I am going to that institute

Yeah, me too.

@Mepris Too rigid? How so?

Wait, all of you guys are high school/intermediate students too? Feels good to know that I'm not alone.

Also, i want to know what's BAD about each physics dep. Everyone says that IISc is awesome, but is it perfect? What are the disadvantages?

That document by Anirbit is very, very old. CMI has changed their syllabus a few times since that. I've e-mailed him a number of times and what he said was that if one is serious about studying physics, going to Europe, America and elsewhere in Asia (he mentioned the NUS; the universities in China and Hong Kong seem to have good doctoral placement as well) would be a better than in India. If one were to stay here, he recommended the IISc, CMI, NISER, IISER, BITS and IITs.

Again, it's just the opinion of *one* person. There's other people who went there and did well. Someone who graduated in the same year as him went to Ecole Polytechnique for his PhD. Anirbit himself is at UIUC for his PhD in theoretical high energy physics - he started last year. Another one who graduated last year is doing condensed matter (theory) at UC Berkeley.

I don't like the IISc because their program, while allowing one the choice of a few different disciplines (math, chemistry, physics, biology, materials science), is still a very rigid one. While I do have casual interests in various forms of science, I wouldn't want to do that many core courses. Their time table also looks a lot like a high school one. Heck, I had more freedom outside of high school. At CMI, there'd be more time between lectures. Apparently they're not very good when it comes to experimental work though, so one may not get a good grounding in that if this what they're interested in.

I think one should attempt the entrance exams and if admitted, go visit each college and talk to the current students and see what they think. I've had some interesting conversations with 2-3 CMI students and most of them are nice enough to reply to e-mails. If you do some digging, you'll find their e-mails easily enough. A few of them actually post here...

Likes Xplorer
Thanks, I've written the entrances and its looking good. I may get in everywhere mentioned above except CMI.

CMI haven't even held their entrance exam if I'm not mistaken!

Another thing with that Anirbit document - he actually speaks quite fondly of his alma mater. Read his G+ blog and see for yourself. I don't know what his opinion of it is exactly but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter if the school you go to *works for you*.

nomad19095 said:
Thanks, I've written the entrances and its looking good. I may get in everywhere mentioned above except CMI.

What does written mean?Have you given the entrances then?

Mépris said:
I don't know what his opinion of it is exactly but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter if the school you go to *works for you*.

That is SO not true! I know enthusiastic people who've hit rock bottom, just because the school, in addition to NOT working for them, actually demotivated them!

Of course, I'm not implying that might be the case with CMI, and I do acknowledge the fact that the coursework may have been revised from back then, but do you really think things like sarcasm and non-encouragement of creativity, simply die out?

@Mepris : I didn't apply. Unfortunately for me.

jobsism said:
That is SO not true! I know enthusiastic people who've hit rock bottom, just because the school, in addition to NOT working for them, actually demotivated them!

Of course, I'm not implying that might be the case with CMI, and I do acknowledge the fact that the coursework may have been revised from back then, but do you really think things like sarcasm and non-encouragement of creativity, simply die out?

You won't know for sure until you experience the school in question first hand. I think visiting and getting a feel of the school is important. (i.e, talking with professors, students, people in administration, anyone who you'd meet on daily basis if you were to live there, really!) If you're miserable at a school, it's unlikely you'll be able to do well there. Now, there's some people who strive under insane amounts of pressure/stress and also some who can actually turn their "misery" or "anger" into something constructive. Not sure if that's a common thing though...

In my opinion, when it comes to the point where one can choose from the "best" schools in their country, selecting which school to attend is largely a question of fit. (i.e, if one is comfortable at said school)

@1994Bhaskar : sorry. yeah, I've given them.

@nomad19095 : Given JEE and AIEEE??How did these exams and other exams go?

i've given the JEE. It went well enough.

The JEE was for 408 this year.

@1994Bhaskar : Assuming 1994 is your birth-year, how did yours go?

Among colleges: St. Stephen's College (Delhi), Loyola College (Chennai), Hansraj College (Delhi), Presidency College (Kolkata), Sri Venkateshwara College (Delhi)

Among institutes: IISc, IISERs, IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Bombay, IIT-Chennai, IIST

I am joining cmi a day after. I am much more enthusiast in physics than cs. So, i am joining cmi bsc hons maths and physics. Is my decision correct to join this course of cmi over bits pilani and niser o cmi maths n cs ? Well i have already left pilani n niser. Now i have to choose between physics and computer .. is it good to take maths with physics ?

Last edited:
Xplorer said:
bits pilani and niser o cmi maths n cs ?

Eh, what? :oldconfused:

Likes Xplorer
jtbell said:
Eh, what? :oldconfused:
Let me clear. I am asking that was it a correct decision to choose cmi bsc maths and physics over bits pilani and niser ? Now second question is that is bsc maths and physics good of cmi like bsc maths and cs of cmi, as i am much interested in theoretical physics than cs? What will be the future oppurtunities after the course ? I have to report tommorow and select a course..

1. What are the top institutes in India for undergraduate physics courses?

Some of the top institutes in India for undergraduate physics courses are Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Indian Institute of Science (IISc), National Institute of Technology (NIT), Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), and University of Delhi.

2. What factors should I consider while choosing a college for undergraduate physics in India?

Some important factors to consider while choosing a college for undergraduate physics in India are the reputation and ranking of the institute, faculty qualifications and experience, availability of research opportunities, curriculum and course structure, placement opportunities, and overall academic environment.

3. Are there any specialized programs for undergraduate physics in India?

Yes, there are specialized programs such as Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Honours in Physics, Bachelor of Science-Master of Science (BS-MS) Dual Degree in Physics, and Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Engineering Physics offered by various institutes in India.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics for pursuing undergraduate physics in India?

While a strong background in mathematics is beneficial for studying physics, it is not a mandatory requirement for pursuing undergraduate physics in India. Many institutes offer bridge courses and extra support for students who may have weaker math skills but are interested in pursuing physics.

5. What are the career options after completing undergraduate physics in India?

Completing undergraduate physics in India can open up various career opportunities such as research positions in academia or industry, teaching positions, scientific writing, data analysis, and roles in technical industries such as aerospace, defense, and healthcare. Graduates can also opt for higher studies in physics or related fields.