Best references for continuum mechanics

In summary, The conversation discusses classic references for the mechanics of continuous media, specifically in the field of fluid mechanics. Some recommendations include R. Aris's "Vectors, Tensors, and the Basic Eqns. of Fluid Mechanics," Goldstein's classic textbook on mechanics, and Bachelor's text on fluid mechanics. The conversation also briefly touches on spelling peculiarities in different languages.
krisshoe
...I'm currently studying R. Aris, "Vectors, Tensors, and the Basic Eqns. of Fluid Mechanics." What are some of the other classic references for the mechanics of continuous media?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I recall correctly, Goldstein's classic textbook on mechanics has a pretty good chapter on continuum mechanics that will give you a great start.

I'm trying to figure what to offer, are you looking for something to get started or a "know-it-all" book with all theoretical finesse (or whether you've any particular field of continuum mechanics you wish to study)?

If you are interested in a good book in fluid mechanics, Bachelor's is very good.

I believe that is Batchelor - with a "t". His text has some really great pictures!

Tide said:
I believe that is Batchelor - with a "t". His text has some really great pictures!
You dratted Englishmen!
Why don't you prune out these silly misspellings from your language once and for all!
It's not really funny, you know. NOT AT ALL! :grumpy:

LoL! Hey, I didn't invent the language and I'm not even an Englishman. I only mentioned it because someone trying to look up the reference may not find it with the misspelling. Besides, all bets are off when it comes to proper names.

Of course, we need not go into spelling peculiarities in the Norwegian language! ;)

Tide said:
LoL! Hey, I didn't invent the language and I'm not even an Englishman. I only mentioned it because someone trying to look up the reference may not find it with the misspelling. Besides, all bets are off when it comes to proper names.

Of course, we need not go into spelling peculiarities in the Norwegian language! ;)
1) Sorry for assuming you to be burdened with an irrational linguistic heritage.. :redface:

2) Norwegian is perfectly rational; it's just that apart from 4 million individuals or so, few have the acumen to learn it..

1. What is continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the mechanical behavior of materials modeled as a continuous mass rather than individual particles. It is used to study the deformation and motion of materials under various forces and conditions.

2. What are the key principles of continuum mechanics?

The key principles of continuum mechanics include the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, as well as the relationship between stress and strain in a material. These principles are used to develop mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of materials under different conditions.

3. What are some common applications of continuum mechanics?

Continuum mechanics has a wide range of applications, including analyzing the structural integrity of buildings and bridges, predicting the behavior of fluids in pipes and pumps, and designing aerospace and automotive components. It is also used in biomechanics to study the mechanical properties of biological tissues and systems.

4. What are some recommended references for learning continuum mechanics?

Some highly recommended references for learning continuum mechanics include "Continuum Mechanics for Engineers" by Mase and Mase, "Introduction to Continuum Mechanics" by W. Michael Lai, David Rubin, and Erhard Krempl, and "Continuum Mechanics: Concise Theory and Problems" by P. Chadwick and G. Bate.

5. How does continuum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics deals with the motion of objects and particles, while continuum mechanics focuses on the behavior of materials as a continuous mass. Classical mechanics also assumes that materials are rigid and do not deform, while continuum mechanics takes into account the deformation and flow of materials under different forces and conditions. Additionally, classical mechanics is primarily concerned with macroscopic systems, while continuum mechanics can also be applied to microscopic systems.