Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best references for continuum mechanics

1. Aug 16, 2005 #1
    ...I'm currently studying R. Aris, "Vectors, Tensors, and the Basic Eqns. of Fluid Mechanics." What are some of the other classic references for the mechanics of continuous media?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I recall correctly, Goldstein's classic textbook on mechanics has a pretty good chapter on continuum mechanics that will give you a great start.

4. Aug 17, 2005 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm trying to figure what to offer, are you looking for something to get started or a "know-it-all" book with all theoretical finesse (or whether you've any particular field of continuum mechanics you wish to study)?

5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

If you are interested in a good book in fluid mechanics, Bachelor's is very good.

6. Aug 17, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe that is Batchelor - with a "t". His text has some really great pictures!

7. Aug 17, 2005 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You dratted Englishmen!
    Why don't you prune out these silly misspellings from your language once and for all!
    It's not really funny, you know. NOT AT ALL! :grumpy:

8. Aug 17, 2005 #7

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

LoL! Hey, I didn't invent the language and I'm not even an Englishman. I only mentioned it because someone trying to look up the reference may not find it with the misspelling. Besides, all bets are off when it comes to proper names.

Of course, we need not go into spelling peculiarities in the Norwegian language! ;)

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1) Sorry for assuming you to be burdened with an irrational linguistic heritage.. :redface:

2) Norwegian is perfectly rational; it's just that apart from 4 million individuals or so, few have the acumen to learn it..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?