Best references for continuum mechanics

• Thread starter krisshoe
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

...I'm currently studying R. Aris, "Vectors, Tensors, and the Basic Eqns. of Fluid Mechanics." What are some of the other classic references for the mechanics of continuous media?

Answers and Replies

Tide
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If I recall correctly, Goldstein's classic textbook on mechanics has a pretty good chapter on continuum mechanics that will give you a great start.

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm trying to figure what to offer, are you looking for something to get started or a "know-it-all" book with all theoretical finesse (or whether you've any particular field of continuum mechanics you wish to study)?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If you are interested in a good book in fluid mechanics, Bachelor's is very good.

Tide
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I believe that is Batchelor - with a "t". His text has some really great pictures!

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Tide said:
I believe that is Batchelor - with a "t". His text has some really great pictures!
You dratted Englishmen!
Why don't you prune out these silly misspellings from your language once and for all!
It's not really funny, you know. NOT AT ALL! :grumpy:

Tide
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
LoL! Hey, I didn't invent the language and I'm not even an Englishman. I only mentioned it because someone trying to look up the reference may not find it with the misspelling. Besides, all bets are off when it comes to proper names.

Of course, we need not go into spelling peculiarities in the Norwegian language! ;)

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Tide said:
LoL! Hey, I didn't invent the language and I'm not even an Englishman. I only mentioned it because someone trying to look up the reference may not find it with the misspelling. Besides, all bets are off when it comes to proper names.

Of course, we need not go into spelling peculiarities in the Norwegian language! ;)
1) Sorry for assuming you to be burdened with an irrational linguistic heritage.. :redface:

2) Norwegian is perfectly rational; it's just that apart from 4 million individuals or so, few have the acumen to learn it..