1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hit with mallet to one side clamped metal triangular plate

1. Jun 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to build a musical instrument for homework . I want to cut triangular metal plate where triangle will stand vertical to ground , bottom of triangle is 1 inch wide and clamped , triangle height is 42 inches.

Does that triangle produce different notes when hitting from bottom to up , different locations or does it produce the same sound everywhere ?

2. Relevant equations
    too much complicated

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2017 #2
    Consider that no two sounds are actually the exact same- so every time you hit the plate: from a physics point of view; it will produce a different sound although you as a person may not be able to distinguish the difference.

What constitutes a certain sound? What determines pitch when hearing the sound?

4. Jun 7, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The plate will have a number of vibrational modes, each with its own frequency. The frequencies and the distribution of energy between them will be largely dictated by the shape (and the mix may or may not be harmonious), but the balance will also be influenced by where the plate is struck.
    I read that drum skins have to be "tuned", i.e. tightened in a way which ensures the drum produces almost the same sound regardless of where it is struck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted