Beta -decay converting u to MeV

• Thread starter MrsChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beta
In summary, the question is asking for the energy Q released when ^{131}_{\ 53}{\rm I} decays into ^{131}_{\ 54}{\rm Xe}. Using the formula E= {\Delta m} c^2, the calculated value of \Delta m is 0.001038u. Using the conversion factor of 1u = 931.494MeV, the energy Q is equal to 0.967MeV. It is important to check units when performing calculations to avoid mistakes.
MrsChaos
hi
i'm new so i hope i am writing this in the correct part of the forums

this is the question i have been given:

---
What is the energy Q released when ^{131}_{\ 53}{\rm I}decays and ^{131}_{\ 54}{\rm Xe} is formed? The atomic mass of ^{131}_{\ 53}{\rm I} is 130.906118 \rm u and the atomic mass of ^{131}_{\ 54}{\rm Xe} is 130.90508 \rm u.
Express your answer in megaelectron volts to three significant figures.
Q =

---
i have worked out that Delta m = 0.001038u
so assumed i could use E= {\Delta m} c^2
i am using 3.00*10^8 as c (if this is wrong please tell me)
and received the answer 9.342*10^13

could you please help me to convert this to MeV and let me know why i keep on getting this
question wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
lol ok i worked it out now
i didn't need to do the c^2 part because it canceled out
so i just needed to go
0.001038 x 931.5
which gave me the right answer of
0.967MeV

Don't worry I've made little mistakes like this too! :wink:

Just to advise that if you remember to check the units along the way, this can help to make sure you've done things like this right. But you'll probably always remember this now!

So you had [itex]\Delta m = 0.001038u[/itex] which is obviously units of [itex]u[/itex].

Then the conversion is [itex]1u = 931.494MeV[/itex]

Which means indeed you can just multiply the two and the units work out fine. :smile:

1. What is beta-decay?

Beta-decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus emits a beta particle, either an electron or a positron, in order to become more stable.

2. How does beta-decay convert u to MeV?

Beta-decay converts u (atomic mass unit) to MeV (megaelectronvolt) by releasing energy in the form of a beta particle. The amount of energy released is equivalent to the mass difference between the parent nucleus and the resulting daughter nucleus, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What is the relationship between u and MeV?

U (atomic mass unit) and MeV (megaelectronvolt) are both units of measurement for mass and energy, respectively. They are related by the conversion factor 1 u = 931.5 MeV/c^2, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum.

4. Can beta-decay occur spontaneously?

Yes, beta-decay can occur spontaneously without any external influence. It is a natural process that happens in certain unstable nuclei in order to achieve a more stable configuration.

5. How is beta-decay important in nuclear physics?

Beta-decay is important in nuclear physics because it is one of the main ways in which unstable nuclei can become more stable. It plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions and in the formation of elements in the universe.