Beta scattering.PLEASE HELP

• Thread starter Download341
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beta
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an experiment to study the relationship between the number of beta particles scattered backwards, the thickness of the foil, and the proton number of the foil material. The source Sr-90 has been chosen for beta emissions. To avoid interference, the source will be placed far away and controlled with a shutter. The frequency of beta particle collisions is taken into consideration when determining the distance the source should be placed.
Download341
I am designing an experiment to investigate how the number of beta particles scattered backwards depends on the thickness of a foil and the proton number of the foil material.I have decided on the source Sr-90 for beta emissions.i know what to do to. I will have the beta particles fired at the foil and place a GM tube next to the source to get the number of particles scattered backwards. i will change the thickness of the foil, and would also change the type of foil (aluminum, tin and some other material). but my only problem is that when beta particles are going to scatter backwards they are going to collide with the ones being emitted so therefore will not be recorded properly as they will scatter in all directions how will i overcome this problem?.

Science news on Phys.org
Place your source very far away, and control when it let's things out with a shutter. Then you'll have time to move your detector in place after the source shoots out particles, but before the particles bounce back.:devil:

thanks another question arent beta particles fast? how much further should i place it and how much time will i take to open the shutter close it and bring the GM infront of the source?:confused:

Normally, I wouldn't respond, because, as you said, you are designing an experiment.

There is a trick to this measurement, but it's not the problem you describe - beta particles colliding with each other. How many beta particles per second are you producing? How far does one travel in that time? How often do you expect collisions?

What is beta scattering?

Beta scattering is a process in which a beta particle (electron or positron) is scattered by a target nucleus. This is a type of nuclear reaction that occurs due to the weak force.

What is the difference between beta scattering and other types of scattering?

Beta scattering is different from other types of scattering, such as Rutherford scattering, because it involves the weak force rather than the electromagnetic force. This means that the beta particle is not repelled or attracted by the target nucleus, but rather interacts with it through the weak force.

What are the applications of beta scattering?

Beta scattering has many applications in physics and nuclear medicine. It is used to study the structure and properties of nuclei, as well as to measure the energy and momentum of beta particles. In nuclear medicine, beta scattering is used in positron emission tomography (PET) scans to produce images of the body's internal structures.

How is beta scattering studied in the laboratory?

In the laboratory, beta scattering is studied by accelerating beta particles and directing them towards a target nucleus. The scattered particles are then detected and their properties are measured to study the interaction between the beta particle and the target nucleus.

What is the role of beta scattering in understanding the weak force?

Beta scattering plays a crucial role in understanding the weak force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It provides important insights into the structure of nuclei and the properties of the weak force, helping us to further our understanding of the universe at a fundamental level.