Which Liquid Lubricant Replaces Grease for Bicycle Chains?

• Thread starter Arjun Ar
  • Start date
In summary: Better lubricant?Can somebody tell me which among these liquid lubricants can replace grease from bicycle chain?Gingerly oil is a liquid lubricant that can be used to replace grease from bicycle chain. Coconut oil can also be used as a lubricant, but it has a lower flash point and may not be as effective as gingerly oil. Kerosine is not a lubricant and cannot be used to replace grease from bicycle chain.
Arjun Ar
Better lubricant?

Can somebody tell me which among these liquid lubricants can replace grease from bicycle chain?

I have only three alternatives available

1) Coconut oil
2) Gingerly oil
3) Kerosine

Physics news on Phys.org

None...?

Definitively NOT kerosene...lets not have anyone riding a flaming bike through the streets. (If that's supposed to be kerosene)

Flash point of kerosene is 60.5°C. Could normal friction in bicycles generate such an amount of heat?

The reason why grease is used is becuase it's viscous, put oil on there and it will flow away.

Why on Earth do you want to change a lubricant when you know that the lubricant works? If it isn't broke...

"Why on Earth do you want to change a lubricant when you know that the lubricant works?"

I thought experimenting is the sole basis of science.

I just wanted the reasons why one would choose one choice over the other

If you are doing this purely for experiment then fair enough. Try them all.

Why do you think they would be better lubricants than grease?

well... I tried and got gingerly oil the best among them all.

I am just trying to get a better lubricant, costless, effective and drives out water.

The lubricated cogset/cluster now gives me a smooth ride.

I think cleaning with kerosene and then applying oil is better.
Anybody with better suggestions??

Part of science is looking back at what other people have done so you aren't repeating yourself.

In your mind think about:
Why the chain was greased and not oiled before?
Why does it feels better?
Would a different grease not by better still?
What are you after from this different lubricant? (The lowest friction that requires constant maintainance? or a longer term no maintenance chain, or somewhere in between)

Also be weary of subjective measurements, I'm willing to bet it feels smoother becuase you have oiled it with something else. Although freshly oiled chain is likely to be smoother than an old greased chain, there is significant room for a placebo effect.On saying that if you are happy with the results, I am certainly no one to dispute you, good job. Just make sure you monitor the chain more closely, as the oil won't last as long.

Last edited:

Thnx for your reply :-)

FAQ: Which Liquid Lubricant Replaces Grease for Bicycle Chains?

1. What are the benefits of using liquid lubricants over grease for bicycle chains?

Liquid lubricants have a lower viscosity and can penetrate deep into the chain links, providing better coverage and reducing friction. They also do not attract as much dirt and debris, leading to less frequent cleaning and maintenance.

2. Can any type of liquid lubricant be used as a replacement for grease on bicycle chains?

No, it is important to use a lubricant specifically designed for bicycle chains. These lubricants are formulated to withstand the high pressures and speeds of cycling and often contain additives to protect against rust and corrosion.

3. How often should I apply liquid lubricant to my bicycle chain?

It is recommended to apply a new layer of liquid lubricant to your bicycle chain every 100-200 miles, or whenever you notice the chain becoming dry or noisy. However, this may vary depending on riding conditions and personal preference.

4. Is it necessary to clean the chain before applying liquid lubricant?

Yes, it is important to clean the chain before applying any lubricant. This will remove any dirt or debris that could potentially damage the chain or prevent the lubricant from properly penetrating the links.

5. Can liquid lubricants be used in all weather conditions?

Some liquid lubricants are designed specifically for certain weather conditions, such as wet or dry conditions. It is important to choose a lubricant that is suitable for the weather conditions you will be riding in to ensure optimal performance and protection for your bicycle chain.

Back