Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beyond Einstein

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Can any one tell me how far cosmology has advanced beyond Enstein?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a rather broad question. Could you be more specific on what you want to know about?

4. Sep 28, 2007 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Hi, Space Tiger.

It is hard to explain, i mean without malice ,what do the majority of scientists think about things like string theory, the many worlds theory ,or quantum loop theory, or any other theory that is after AE.

5. Sep 28, 2007 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I don't think astronomers view any of those things with malice, but there's no consensus in the astro community about their applicability. On average, I think astronomers view string theory with more skepticism than your typical theoretical physicist simply because they put less weight on mathematical elegance and more on observable predictions. Certainly, the standard model of particle physics is accepted amongst astronomers since its validity has been demonstrated experimentally in the relevant regimes. The MWI isn't testable and isn't relevant to astronomy anyway, so I doubt it's given much thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?