BEZOUT's IDENITY solution there just confused on few steps.Help please

• Thread starter Simkate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the steps of the Euclidean algorithm show that x^5+1 is divisible by x+1, and Bezout's identity states that there exist coefficients a and b such that a(x^5+1) + b(x^3+1) = x+1. By comparing coefficients, we can solve for a and b, and rearrange the equation into the form of a Bezout's identity. This also explains why 2x² equals 0 and how (x^3+1)(x^3+1) is formed.
Simkate
I have a Questions for Bezout's Identity of POLYNOMIALS: I have the soltuions however i am confused about some things in between the answers HELP please...Thank You

The question was Find the (g.c.d) of (( x^5 +1), (x^3 +1)) = ( x+1) ( i found) by the Euclids Algorithim by the following steps:

x^5 +1 = (x^3 +1)(x²) +(x²+1)
x^ 3 +1= (x²+1)(x) + (x+1)
x² + 1 = (x+1)(x+1) + (0)

so G.C.D =(x+1)

What i don't get is how is
x^5 +1 = (x^3 +1)(x²) +(x²+1)^5
= x^5+x² + x² +1
= x^5+ 2x² + 1
= x^5 + 1

How does 2x² = 0? Why?

------------------------------------------------------
My other confusion is : using the Bezout's identity for the above problem

x+1 = (x^3+1)+(x²+1)(x)
= (x^3+1)+((x^5 +1) ( x^3+1)x²)x
= (x^5+1)(x)+(x^3+1)(x^3 +1)

the last step it equals (x^5+1)(x)+(x^3+1)(x^3 +1)

I do not understand how the x^3 in the 2nd step =0 and how ( x^3+1)(x^3 +1) Formed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The steps of the Euclidean algorithm show that x^5+1 is divisible by x+1, and this is the greatest common divisor of the two polynomials. In terms of Bezout's identity, this means that there exist coefficients a and b such that: a(x^5+1) + b(x^3+1) = x+1 Substituting in the original equations for x^5+1 and x^3+1 gives: ax^5 + a + bx^3 + b = x+1 Multiplying out the brackets on the left side gives: ax^5 + (a+bx²)x + bx + b = x+1 Comparing coefficients gives the following equations: a=1, b=-1 Therefore, the Bezout's identity can be written as: x^5 + 1 - (x^3 +1)(x) = x+1 To answer your questions: 2x² = 0 because b=-1 and so (a+bx²) = 1-x² = 0. The last step is formed by rearranging the equation to put it in the form of a Bezout's identity: x^5 + 1 - (x^3 +1)(x) = x+1 Which can also be written as: (x^5+1)(x)+(x^3+1)(x^3 +1) = x+1

FAQ: BEZOUT's IDENITY solution there just confused on few steps.Help please

1. What is Bezout's Identity?

Bezout's Identity is a theorem in number theory that states that for two integers, their greatest common divisor (GCD) can be expressed as a linear combination of the two integers. This means that there exists two coefficients, which can be either positive or negative, that when multiplied with the two integers will result in their GCD.

2. How is Bezout's Identity used?

Bezout's Identity is often used in solving problems involving linear Diophantine equations, which are equations where the solutions must be integers. It is also used in cryptography and coding theory.

3. What are the steps to solve a problem using Bezout's Identity?

The first step is to find the GCD of the two integers. This can be done using the Euclidean algorithm. Then, the extended Euclidean algorithm is used to find the coefficients of the linear combination. Finally, the coefficients are multiplied with the two integers to get the solution.

4. Can Bezout's Identity be used for any two integers?

Yes, Bezout's Identity can be used for any two integers, whether they are positive, negative, or zero. However, if the GCD of the two integers is not 1, there may be infinitely many solutions to the linear Diophantine equation.

5. What are some common mistakes when using Bezout's Identity?

One common mistake is forgetting to check if the GCD is 1, which can result in infinite solutions. Another mistake is not properly applying the extended Euclidean algorithm, which can lead to incorrect coefficients. It is also important to make sure the linear combination results in the correct GCD and not just a multiple of it.