Weight Distribution on a Bicycle: How Does It Affect Suspension Response?

In summary, a cyclist's weight is distributed over the two wheels of their bike depending on their riding position. The weight on the handlebars is negligible
Hodgie
Hey guys,
I'm currently doing a project on bicycle suspension response.
My query is how is a cyclists weight distributed over the two wheels of the bike. I realize it is going to change depending on the position of the cyclist. I'm just concerned with a "normal" recreational position. I am just would the weight on the handlebars be negligible, are is there a ratio between weight into the saddle and weight into the handlebars?
thanks//

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming no acceleration, this problem can be easily solved by summing moments and forces with a free body diagram. Below is my surely failed attempt at an ASCII free body diagram.

Code:
       v
^----------------^
Where the v is the force applied by the person, and the ^'s are the wheels. You can sum the moments about any wheel to find the reaction at the other. Sum forces to find the reaction at the other wheel. Since all forces are in the vertical direction, you don't need to worry about vertical distances, only horiztonal.

If we denote [tex]l_f[/tex] as the distance between the front wheel and the rider, and [tex]l_r[/tex] as the distance between the rider and the rear wheel, and [tex]W[/tex] as the weight of the rider, and [tex]R_f,R_r[/tex] as the front/rear wheel reactions respectively, then:
[tex] W l_r - R_f(l_r+l_f) = 0[/tex]
So
[tex]
R_f = \frac{W l_r}{(l_r + l_f)}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
R_r = W - R_f[/tex]

ooooo, just seen that you're concerned with weight into the handlebars. Um...you could get into a comfortable riding position, take note of the angle that your arms make, then measure the force with a food scale or something. Find the vertical component and add it to the free body diagram. Subtract it from your weight so that the sum of the downward forces equal the weight. Rinse and repeat.

The horizontal force on the handlebars should cancel out with your butt/feet and doesn't need to be calculated for. I've also assumed negligible weight for the bike.

Last edited:
Thanks mate, great response##

1. What is bicycle weight distribution?

Bicycle weight distribution refers to the distribution of weight between the front and rear wheels of a bicycle. It can greatly affect the handling and performance of the bike.

2. Why is bicycle weight distribution important?

Bicycle weight distribution is important because it can greatly impact the handling and stability of the bike. An imbalanced weight distribution can make the bike difficult to control and affect its overall performance.

3. How does weight distribution affect bike handling?

The weight distribution of a bicycle affects its handling by influencing the center of gravity. A front-heavy bike may have slower steering response and be prone to tipping over, while a rear-heavy bike may have quicker steering response but be more difficult to balance.

4. How can I adjust the weight distribution on my bike?

The weight distribution on a bike can be adjusted by moving heavier components such as the water bottle, tool kit, or lock to the rear of the bike. You can also adjust the position of your body by shifting your weight forward or backward on the saddle.

5. How can I find the optimal weight distribution for my bike?

The optimal weight distribution for a bike depends on the rider's preferences and the type of riding they will be doing. Generally, a 60:40 ratio of weight on the rear and front wheels is a good starting point. However, it's important to experiment and find the distribution that works best for you and your riding style.