Big Bertha Projectile Question

• Thread starter jbutl3r25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, during World War I, the Germans used a gun called Big Bertha to shell Paris. The shell had an initial speed of 1.11 km/s at an initial inclination of 35.8 degrees to the horizontal. To calculate the distance and time of impact, the poster suggests using a RECTPOLAR program on a calculator, finding the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity, and using the vertical component to determine the time in the air. The final step is to multiply the time by the horizontal component to find the distance of impact.
jbutl3r25
During World War I, the Germans had a gun called Big Bertha that was used to shell Paris. The shell had an initial speed of 1.11 km/s at an initial inclination of 35.8 degrees to the horizontal.
a.How far away did the shell hit? Answer in km.
b. How long was it in the air?

I have a RECTPOLAR program on my calculator that we are allowed to use. I know I need the resultant and the angle for that to give me the x magnitude and the y magnitude. How would I go about setting this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try

Vx = V.cos(35.8) horizontal component

Vy = V.sin(35.8) vertical component

i don't think that makes sense...

cos(35.8) gives me -.32 and sin(35.8) gives me -.95

i don't think that works

Make sure you have your calc. set to degrees ( as opposed to radians).
Cos(35.8) = 0.81106.

ohh ok now i got that...

so vx = .811 and vy = .585

so should i go and do the vf, vo, a, d, t set up?
vx .811
dx?
t

vfY
voY 0
aY -9.8
dY
t

and if so, how would i find a 3rd component to the Y part?

Not quite. Look at post #2 again.

Vx = 1.11*0.811 Km/s
Vy = 1.11*0.585 km/s

Using Vy you can work out how long the shell is in the air ( think of a stone thrown vertically with Vy ). The time taken to get to where Vy=0 is half the travel time. When you know the travel time, multiply by Vx to get the distance.

Last edited:

What is a "Big Bertha" projectile?

A "Big Bertha" projectile is a type of artillery shell that was used during World War I. It was developed by the Germans and was known for its large size and destructive capabilities.

How big is the "Big Bertha" projectile?

The "Big Bertha" projectile was approximately 42 cm in diameter and weighed around 820 kg. It was one of the largest artillery shells used during World War I.

What was the purpose of the "Big Bertha" projectile?

The "Big Bertha" projectile was designed for long-range artillery attacks. It was used to bombard enemy positions from a distance, causing destruction and chaos among the opposing forces.

How effective was the "Big Bertha" projectile in combat?

The "Big Bertha" projectile was considered highly effective in combat due to its large size and destructive capabilities. It was able to penetrate deep into enemy fortifications and cause significant damage.

Are "Big Bertha" projectiles still used today?

No, "Big Bertha" projectiles are no longer used in modern warfare. However, their impact and legacy can still be seen in the development of larger and more powerful artillery shells used in current military operations.