Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Big Int in Latex

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    I search google and different math sites but came with not answer for making an integral big.

How do I do it please?

##\int## is too small sometimes

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

With Latex:

[tex]\int{x dx}[/tex]

4. Mar 19, 2013 #3
    [tex]\int{grazie \ mille \ \mathrm{d}t}[/tex]

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're using inline math mode there, which makes things small. Use displayed math mode instead and you'll get a larger integral symbol:

Code (Text):

[tex]\int dx[/tex]

[tex]\int dx[/tex]

You can embiggen delimiters with \left / \right, \bigl / \bigr (or just \big), etc. There's a whole slew of macros that embiggen delimiters by various amounts. However, you can't embiggen the integral symbol for various technical reasons. If you want an even bigger integral symbol you'll need to use a package that supplies big integral symbols such as http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/bigints/.

Note: You can't use this capability with the limited subset of TeX/LaTeX that is available at this site. Only a fixed set of packages are available for your use in a post.

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

surely "embiggen" means to increase the worth (or self-worth) of something/someone, not to actually make bigger?

eg the famous springfield motto "a noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" does not mean that the smallest man actually gets larger? :wink:

(same for "big up")

7. Mar 19, 2013 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

These are integrals:
    (inline) [itex]\int dx[/itex] and (inline with \displaystyle) [itex]\displaystyle\int dx[/itex]
    and (displaystyle)[tex]\int dx[/tex].
    These are also integrals: with \Large and \LARGE and \Huge
    [tex]\int dx \qquad {\Large \int} dx \qquad {\LARGE\int} dx \qquad {\Huge\int} dx[/tex]

8. Mar 21, 2013 #7
    From now on I am using this for all my integrals.

[tex]{\Huge\int} \mathrm{d}\xi[/tex]

Gotta put emphasis on it. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook