How Can a Mechanical Town Clock Be Modified to Chime Every Second?

• Thread starter Young Learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clock Tower
In summary, the key to your request for a mechanism to strike a chime every second without using electricity is energy. This energy can come from a weight or a mainspring in a mechanical clock. These types of clocks need to be wound periodically to store enough energy to keep the clock running.
Young Learner
I just wanted to know how a town or a tower clock works. I would like to know if I can device a mechanism such that I will be able to use the striking train to strike every second, loud and clear i.e. I must get a loud chime every second but without using an electrical supply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy. This is the key to your request. You need some kind of energy to "strike" the chime. Have you checked on how this has been done for hundreds of years already, before electric clocks were available?

Likes 1 person
Bobbywhy said:
Energy. This is the key to your request. You need some kind of energy to "strike" the chime. Have you checked on how this has been done for hundreds of years already, before electric clocks were available?

Thanks for the reply.
I am still not sure how a town clock works.
May be you can come to a conclusion after watching these links.

do we need to give a key to it manually every once in a while?

Last edited by a moderator:
“In mechanical clocks, the power source is typically either a weight suspended from a cord or chain wrapped around a pulley, sprocket or drum; or a spiral spring called a mainspring. Mechanical clocks must be wound periodically, usually by turning a knob or key or by pulling on the free end of the chain, to store energy in the weight or spring to keep the clock running.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clock#Power_source

A town or tower clock, also known as a public clock, typically works through a combination of mechanical gears and weights or springs. The clock mechanism, known as the movement, contains a series of gears that are connected to the hands of the clock and control their movement. The weights or springs provide the power to drive the gears and keep the clock running.

In order to achieve a loud chime every second without using an electrical supply, it would be necessary to design a specialized striking train within the clock movement. This would involve creating a separate set of gears and mechanisms that are connected to a hammer or chime, which would strike at the desired interval. However, it is important to note that this would likely require significant modifications to the existing clock mechanism and may not be feasible for all clock designs.

Another option could be to incorporate a pendulum into the clock mechanism, which would provide a regular and consistent rhythm for the striking train to follow. This would require a skilled understanding of clock mechanics and would also need to be carefully calibrated to ensure the desired results.

Overall, it is possible to devise a mechanism within a town or tower clock to strike every second without using an electrical supply. However, it would require specialized knowledge and modifications to the existing clock mechanism. I would recommend consulting with a professional clockmaker or engineer to ensure the safe and accurate implementation of such a mechanism.

1. How does a Big Town Clock or Tower Clock work?

A Big Town Clock or Tower Clock typically works by using a combination of gears, weights, and pendulums to keep time. The gears are connected to the hands of the clock, which move in a circular motion to display the time. The weights provide the necessary energy to keep the clock running, while the pendulum controls the speed at which the gears move.

2. How accurate is a Big Town Clock or Tower Clock?

The accuracy of a Big Town Clock or Tower Clock depends on a few factors, such as the quality of its components and how well it is maintained. However, most modern tower clocks are incredibly accurate, with a margin of error of only a few seconds per day. Some advanced tower clocks even have the ability to automatically adjust for daylight saving time and other time changes, ensuring maximum accuracy.

3. How long do Big Town Clocks or Tower Clocks last?

The lifespan of a Big Town Clock or Tower Clock can vary greatly depending on its materials, maintenance, and environmental factors. However, a well-built and maintained clock can last for several decades, and some have even been known to last for centuries. For example, the famous Big Ben clock in London has been running for over 160 years.

4. Who maintains and repairs Big Town Clocks or Tower Clocks?

Big Town Clocks or Tower Clocks are often maintained and repaired by experienced clockmakers or specialized clock maintenance companies. These professionals have the necessary knowledge and tools to properly maintain and repair the intricate mechanisms of these clocks. In some cases, the responsibility of maintenance and repairs may fall on the local government or organization that owns the clock.

5. Can Big Town Clocks or Tower Clocks be customized?

Yes, Big Town Clocks or Tower Clocks can be customized in terms of design, size, and features. Many cities and organizations choose to personalize their tower clocks with unique designs, such as incorporating local symbols or landmarks. Some modern tower clocks also have advanced features, such as digital displays or chimes, that can be customized to suit the owner's preferences.