Bijection Proof for Sets and Functions - A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the question is asking to show that the function h defined by h(Y)= \{ x \in A: f(x) \notin Y \} is a bijection if the function f is a bijection. The method proposed is to first show that h is one-to-one and then show that it is onto. To show that h is one-to-one, assume h(Y_1) = h(Y_2) and use the bijectivity of f and the definition of h to obtain a contradiction. To show that h is onto, select an arbitrary subset of A and use the definition of h to determine a subset of B that must map to it.
roam

Homework Statement

Let A and B be sets and let [tex]f: A \rightarrow B[/tex] be a function. Define a function

[tex]h: \mathcal{P} (B) \rightarrow \mathcal{P} (A)[/tex] by declaring that for [tex]Y \in\mathcal{P} (B)[/tex], [tex]h(Y)= \{ x \in A: f(x) \notin Y \}[/tex]. Show that if [tex]f[/tex] is a bijection then h is a bijection.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure where to start. I could start by first showing that f is one to one & onto and then show that f = h by showing that:
dom(f) = dom(h)
cod(f) = cod(h)
And, [tex]\forall x \in dom(f), f(x)=h(x)[/tex]

Of course, I can't do this because the question doesn't define function f (it only gived domain & codomain)! Does anyone know how to prove this question?

P.S. the notation [tex]\mathcal{P} (A)[/tex] and [tex]\mathcal{P} (B)[/tex] are supposed to represent the power set of A & B.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
I could start by first showing that f is one to one & onto and then show that f = h by showing that:
dom(f) = dom(h)
cod(f) = cod(h)
Well, let's start with this. You know several of those subexpressions, don't you? e.g. you know what dom(h) is. What happens when you substitute those values into those equations?

roam said:
Show that if [tex]f[/tex] is a bijection then h is a bijection.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure where to start. I could start by first showing that f is one to one & onto and then show that f = h by showing that:
dom(f) = dom(h)
cod(f) = cod(h)

No, this won't work. For one thing, you don't have to show that f is one to one and onto. That would be showing that f is a bijection and your question starts with the assumption that f is a bijection. You don't have to prove it.

Also, [tex]f \neq h[/tex]! You mention showing that their domains are the same, but that's not true. That's actually written in your question statement also. The domain of f is [tex]A[/tex], but the domain of [tex]h[/tex] is [tex]P(B)[/tex]. So f acts on elements of the set [tex]A[/tex], whereas h acts on subsets of the set [tex]B[/tex]. Totally different.

You need to assume that f is a bijection (i.e. one to one and onto) and then show that h must be as well. Just go through the proofs for each of these requirements. For one to one, assume [tex]h(Y_1) = h(Y_2)[/tex], then looking at the definitions of [tex]h(Y)[/tex] in the question (using that f is bijective), you should be able to conclude that [tex]Y_1 = Y_2[/tex]. Then for onto, select an arbitrary subset of [tex]A[/tex], say [tex]A_0[/tex], then try to determine a subset of [tex]B[/tex] that must map to it.

Hi mathie girl, your method sounds good. Suppose f is a bijection,

for [tex]Y_1 , Y_2 \in \mathcal{P}(B) = dom(h)[/tex]

Here's the problem: I really can't figure out how to show [tex]h(Y_1) = h(Y_2) \Rightarrow Y_1 = Y_2[/tex] using what is given in the question, I don't know what steps to take. What would you propose? I'm very confused atm :confused:

roam said:
Hi mathie girl, your method sounds good. Suppose f is a bijection,

for [tex]Y_1 , Y_2 \in \mathcal{P}(B) = dom(h)[/tex]

Here's the problem: I really can't figure out how to show [tex]h(Y_1) = h(Y_2) \Rightarrow Y_1 = Y_2[/tex] using what is given in the question, I don't know what steps to take. What would you propose? I'm very confused atm :confused:

Okay, you're assuming that [tex]h(Y_1) = h(Y_2)[/tex], right? So [tex]h(Y_1)= \{ x \in A: f(x) \notin Y_1 \}= \{ x \in A: f(x) \notin Y_2 \} = h(Y_2)[/tex]. Then I'd probably do it by contradiction, assuming that [tex]Y_1 \neq Y_2[/tex], so WLOG (without loss of generality) there's some element [tex]b \in Y_1 \setminus Y_2[/tex]. Then using the bijectivity of [tex]f[/tex] and the definition of [tex]h[/tex] to figure out something about [tex]h(Y_1), h(Y_2)[/tex]. Hopefully that's enough to get you started!

Also, the onto part should be much easier. So at least this is the hard part. :smile:

1. What is a bijection proof?

A bijection proof is a type of mathematical proof that shows a one-to-one correspondence between two sets. This means that every element in one set has a unique match in the other set, and vice versa.

2. How do you prove a bijection?

To prove a bijection, you must show that there exists a function between the two sets that is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). This can be done by showing that for every element in one set, there is a unique matching element in the other set.

3. Why are bijections important in mathematics?

Bijections are important because they allow us to establish a one-to-one correspondence between two sets, which can be useful in solving problems and proving theorems. They are also commonly used in fields such as combinatorics, group theory, and topology.

4. What are some common examples of bijections?

Some common examples of bijections include the mapping between a set of integers and its corresponding set of even numbers, the mapping between a set of real numbers and its corresponding set of positive real numbers, and the mapping between a set of points on a line and its corresponding set of angles in radians.

5. Are all bijections reversible?

Yes, all bijections are reversible by definition. This means that for every function that is a bijection, there exists an inverse function that can map the elements of the second set back to the elements of the first set.