Binary converter (supports IEEE754)

In summary, a binary converter that supports IEEE754 is a tool used to convert decimal numbers to their corresponding binary representation according to the IEEE754 standard. This standard is used for representing floating-point numbers in computers and is commonly used in programming and computation. The converter follows specific rules and formats to accurately convert decimal numbers into their binary equivalent, allowing for efficient and accurate calculations in computer systems. It is a crucial tool for those working with binary and floating-point numbers in the digital world.
Qwerty112233
Here is a good tool for checking your solution when converting a number from decimal to binary or from binary to decimal.

It supports integer numbers (8, 16 and 32 bits) for both unsigned and signed numbers.

It also includes a converter for single precision and double precision numbers according to the IEEE754 standard. I wish I had this tool when I was in school as we had to use C code and read the memory location of the floating-point variable to check if our manual conversion was right or wrong.

This is the address: http://www.binaryconvert.com"

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
hate to be a party pooper...but on Windows, calc.exe will do that

Well I don't know what version of Windows you have. I have WinXP and calc.exe only performs binary conversion for integer numbers (char, short, int)... NOT for single and double precision IEEE 754 numbers. That's why I think this website provides more features than the traditionnal Windows calc.

What is a binary converter?

A binary converter is a tool that converts decimal numbers into their binary equivalents and vice versa. It is used in computer science and engineering to represent and manipulate numbers in binary form.

What is IEEE754?

IEEE754 is a standard for representing and performing calculations with floating-point numbers in binary form. It defines the formats for single and double precision binary numbers, and specifies rules for handling arithmetic operations and special cases such as overflow and underflow.

How does a binary converter work?

A binary converter works by breaking down a decimal number into its binary components, such as the sign, exponent, and mantissa. It then uses the rules defined by IEEE754 to convert these components into a binary representation, and vice versa.

What is the difference between single and double precision in IEEE754?

The main difference between single and double precision in IEEE754 is the number of bits used to represent a number. Single precision uses 32 bits, allowing for 23 bits to represent the mantissa, while double precision uses 64 bits, allowing for 52 bits to represent the mantissa. This means that double precision numbers have a higher precision and can represent larger numbers compared to single precision numbers.

Why is IEEE754 important in computer science?

IEEE754 is important in computer science because it provides a standardized way to represent and perform calculations with floating-point numbers in binary form. This allows for consistency and compatibility between different computer systems and programming languages, making it easier to exchange and process numerical data. It is also crucial for tasks such as scientific computing, financial calculations, and graphics processing.