Understanding Binary Relations: Reflexivity, Symmetry, and More

In summary: No, it is not symmetric because if you have A=parent of B and B=parent of C, then C is not the parent of A.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

Consider the following binary relations on the naturals (non-negative integers). Which ones are reflexive? Symmetric? Anti-symmetric? Transitive? Partial orders?

a) A(x,y) true if and only if y is even
b) B(x,y) true if and only if x < y
c) C(x,y) true if and only if x+2 >= y
d) D(x,y) true if and only if x != y

Homework Equations

Relation R is reflexive if it always holds for an element and itself.
Relation R is symmetric if you can switch the variables in a true instance to keep it true.
Relation R is antisymmetric if you can switch the variables in a true instance (and the variables aren't equal) you get a false instance.
Relation R is transitive if you can chain two true instances involving the same variable y to get a true instance. e.g. (x,y)^(y,z) -> (x,z)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I really don't know what to do here and I need a push in the right direction. Note that I don't want the answers, I just need some help understanding what's going on here.

For B [B(x,y) is defined to be true if and only if x < y]... I reasoned that:

- It's not reflexive since x<x is false for all naturals if both sides are incrementing at the same pace...?

- It's not symmetric, I guess, because switching the variables to y<x is obviously false because x<y is true.

- I guess it's anti-symmetric because switching the variables around make it false? And when they aren't equal? But then if we're looking at cases when x and y aren't equal, can't we prove it's symmetric by taking a y value less than x??

- As for being transitive, I guess it's true because the third variable could be even? But it could also be odd..?

I'm confused about how, for example, a relation can't be symmetric. Unless X is 1, can't there always be a Y greater OR less than X??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tangibleLime said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following binary relations on the naturals (non-negative integers). Which ones are reflexive? Symmetric? Anti-symmetric? Transitive? Partial orders?

a) A(x,y) true if and only if y is even
b) B(x,y) true if and only if x < y
c) C(x,y) true if and only if x+2 >= y
d) D(x,y) true if and only if x != y

Homework Equations

Relation R is reflexive if it always holds for an element and itself.
Relation R is symmetric if you can switch the variables in a true instance to keep it true.
Relation R is antisymmetric if you can switch the variables in a true instance (and the variables aren't equal) you get a false instance.
Relation R is transitive if you can chain two true instances involving the same variable y to get a true instance. e.g. (x,y)^(y,z) -> (x,z)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I really don't know what to do here and I need a push in the right direction. Note that I don't want the answers, I just need some help understanding what's going on here.

For B [B(x,y) is defined to be true if and only if x < y]... I reasoned that:

- It's not reflexive since x<x is false for all naturals if both sides are incrementing at the same pace...?
Correct
- It's not symmetric, I guess, because switching the variables to y<x is obviously false because x<y is true.
Correct
- I guess it's anti-symmetric because switching the variables around make it false? And when they aren't equal? But then if we're looking at cases when x and y aren't equal, can't we prove it's symmetric by taking a y value less than x??
Yes, it is antisymmetric. For your second question, no. For it to be symmetric, for every case where x < y you would have to have y < x for that x and y.
- As for being transitive, I guess it's true because the third variable could be even? But it could also be odd..?
What do even and odd have to do with it?? If x < y and y < z, is it true or not that it must be that x < z. That will tell you whether it is transitive.
I'm confused about how, for example, a relation can't be symmetric. Unless X is 1, can't there always be a Y greater OR less than X??

Thanks.

Hopefully the above explains it. Here's another example. Say person A is related to B if A is the parent of B. Is that symmetric?

Ooh, sorry I mixed in the first part of the problem by mistake with the evens and odds, but thank you; it makes sense now.

Related to Understanding Binary Relations: Reflexivity, Symmetry, and More

1. What is a binary relation?

A binary relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship or connection between two elements in a set. It can be represented as a set of ordered pairs, where the first element is related to the second element.

2. What is reflexivity in binary relations?

Reflexivity in binary relations means that every element in a set is related to itself. In other words, for every element a in the set, the ordered pair (a, a) belongs to the binary relation. This property is also referred to as self-relationship or self-loop.

3. What is symmetry in binary relations?

Symmetry in binary relations means that if element a is related to element b, then element b is also related to element a. In other words, for every ordered pair (a, b) in the binary relation, there exists an ordered pair (b, a) in the relation as well.

4. What is transitivity in binary relations?

Transitivity in binary relations means that if element a is related to element b, and element b is related to element c, then element a is also related to element c. In other words, for every ordered pair (a, b) and (b, c) in the binary relation, there exists an ordered pair (a, c) in the relation as well.

5. How are binary relations used in real-world applications?

Binary relations are used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and linguistics. In computer science, they are used to represent relationships between data, such as parent-child relationships in a database. In linguistics, they are used to represent semantic relationships between words. They are also used in graph theory to model networks and relationships between nodes.