1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binary system calculations.

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

See attachment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so for Qd) my attempt was:
    d = vt = 75x10^3 * (2*2.8*86400*365) = 1.32x10^13 m, (circumference of orbit)
    because the star periodically shifts from red to blue shifted frequencies every 2.8 years so I guess the full orbit to be 2*2.8 years.

Then 2∏r = 1.32x10^13, -> r = 2.1x10^12m?

Now for Qe) All I could figure is that the relevant eqn is (2∏/T)2 = G*(ma + mb)/(ra + rb)3

But with the information I have, 1stly from the assumpt that ma >> mb I can say that:

(2∏/T)2 = G*(ma)/(ra + rb)3 right?

Considering X-major is ma. Now I can rearrange for the mass but I still have missing information, I just have radius of the orbit for x-minor, but not x-major. I even have the orbital period. Just not ra.

Can someone give me a helping hand here, how do I find ra? Also have I done everything thus far correctly?

Attached Files:

• Q1.png
      Q1.png
      File size:
      19.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks correct to me.

Under the assumption that ma >> mb, you have ra << rb. So, I think you can safely neglect ra relative to rb.

4. Mar 1, 2013 #3
    Lol that does make sense, silly me, thanks. Hopefully that's correct. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted