Calculating Energy Released in Triplealpha Process

In summary, Helium and carbon have different masses when they are released through the triple alpha process. The equation that is supposed to be using 12.011u for the atomic mass of one carbon-12 atom is actually getting the right answer using 4.002602u instead.
Ayame17
I was working at the energy released through the triplealpha process, and came to a slight problem. I worked out for Helium first, using:

(2 x 1.007825u) + (2 x 1.008665u) - 4.002602u = 0.030378u

which when x3 and converted gives ~84.9MeV.

Doing the same for carbon, but using 12.011u for the atomic mass (as is given in most places), I end up with ~81.9MeV, when I should be getting ~92.2MeV. But when I do the same equation using 12u, I get the right answer! What's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
12u is DEFINED to be the mass of one carbon-12 atom, it can't be anything else! 12.011u is the average atomic mass..(averaging over all C-isotopes and their relative abundances).

You should also realize that the triple alpha process takes place inside hot stars, so you must be careful to check if you have the correct number of electrons on LHS as RHS (not saying that this is the error you made, but one should always check that)

Last edited:
But surely 4.002602u is the average atomic mass of helium, so you'd have to use 4u in the first equation and then get a total of ~92.2MeV, which is wrong...

Or is it okay to use 4.002602u for the helium and 12u for the carbon?

One alpha atom (He-4) has mass of 4.002602u.

You have to DEFINE the concept of u (atomic mass unit), so one has DEFINED it to be the mass of ONE C-12 atom.

New problem now - when doing the same from 12C + 4He -> 16O, I get ~10.25MeV. I think it's meant to be 7.162MeV. Where am I going wrong this time?

Ayame17 said:
New problem now - when doing the same from 12C + 4He -> 16O, I get ~10.25MeV. I think it's meant to be 7.162MeV. Where am I going wrong this time?

How am I supposed to know that when you don't show your calculations and what values you used?

Even though this is not posted in HW-thread, it really smells like homework. And even if you are only checkning these things for fun, show some detailed calculations, please!

Good point, sorry! Not homework (this time!) just some really crap lecture notes, not explaining things.

C is actually formed from 3xHe (the original reaction), so O must be formed from 4xHe.
Taking Q(He) = 0.030378u, Q(4xHe) = 0.121512 ~113.19MeV

Oxygen: (8 x 1.007825u) + (8 x 1.008665u) - 15.9994u = 0.13252u

which is ~123.44MeV. Last time it was simply the difference between the two, but this gives me ~10.25MeV. I looked at it as Q(4xHe) = Q(3xHe) + Q(C), but that made the difference even larger. I really can't see where she's got her numbers from.

in the reaction C-12 + He-4 -> O-16, we have the same amount of electrons on LHS as RHS, so we can use atomic masses.

O-16 atom has mass: 15.9949u
He-4 atom has mass: 4.00260u
C-12 atom has mass 12.0000u

mass difference = 0.0077u

1u = 931.49MeV

Energy released in this reaction = 7.17MeV

You can't put C-12 = 3*He-4 ! If the reaction is C-12 + He-4 -> O-16; then you must use these nuclei!

Related to Calculating Energy Released in Triplealpha Process

1. What is the triple alpha process?

The triple alpha process is a nuclear fusion reaction in which three helium nuclei (alpha particles) combine to form a carbon nucleus. This process is the primary way in which carbon is produced in stars.

2. How is energy released in the triple alpha process?

Energy is released in the triple alpha process through the conversion of mass into energy, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. As the three alpha particles combine to form a carbon nucleus, a small amount of mass is lost, which is converted into a large amount of energy.

3. What is the equation for calculating energy released in the triple alpha process?

The equation for calculating energy released in the triple alpha process is E = 28.3 x (Z-2)^2 x (Z-1)^2 x Z^2, where Z is the atomic number of the element being formed (in this case, carbon).

4. How do scientists observe the energy released in the triple alpha process?

Scientists can observe the energy released in the triple alpha process through spectroscopy, a technique that involves analyzing the wavelengths of light emitted by a substance. The specific wavelengths emitted during the triple alpha process can provide information about the energy released and the elements formed.

5. What role does the triple alpha process play in the formation of heavier elements?

The triple alpha process is crucial in the formation of heavier elements in the universe. It is the primary way in which carbon is produced, and carbon serves as a building block for the creation of many other elements. Without the triple alpha process, the universe would have significantly fewer elements and would not be able to support life as we know it.