Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial distribution with dependent trials?

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    Hi to you all!
    I need your help with following problem:

String with n characters is given. For each character in string there is probability p that it is wrong. Now you take a sliding window of length k, k<= n, that slides over that string. For the given parameters p,k and n one must must determine the mean and variance of the number of the moving windows without any error.

For n = 5 and k = 2 we have sliding windows that contain letters of sting on positions 12, 23, 34 and 45.

I was thinking that I may define discrete random variable that counts how many windows are there with out any error, but very soon it becomes quite difficult to count. I was also trying to define some sort of generating function, but i did not get far. Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question is confusing. The number of windows is n-k+1. What are you trying to do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook