What is the significance of 'junk' in the binomial theorem for derivatives?

In summary, the binomial theorem states that (x+ y)^n= x^n+ nx^{n-1}y+ nx^{n-2}y^2+ ...+ny^n, where n is an integer. The "junk" in the equation is the terms involving powers of \Delta x of degree 2 and higher. Dividing that by (\Delta x)^2 will give \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{n-2} plus terms that still involve \Delta x which will go to 0 as \Delta x goes to 0 (which is, of course, the important value for a derivative
techieadmin
I've started listening to the lectures for the MIT OpenCourseWare 18.01 Single Variable Calculus class. I understood all of it up until the teacher found the derivative of xn. Here's what he wrote on the board:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} x^{n} = \frac{\Delta f}{\Delta x} = \frac{(x+\Delta x)^{n} - x^{n}}{\Delta x}[/tex]

That, I understand. Then we get to the binomial theorem to try to simplify [tex](x+\Delta x)^{n}[/tex]. The professor said that [tex](x + \Delta x)[/tex] is multiplied by itself n times, which I understand. Then he wrote:

[tex](x+\Delta x)^{n} = x^{n} + nx^{n-1}\Delta x + junk[/tex]
[tex]junk = O((\Delta x)^{2})[/tex] ("big O of delta x squared")

What I'm confused about is the last line. Why is that what "junk" equals? I understand that the rest of the terms don't matter as [tex]\Delta x[/tex] approaches 0, but why are they equal to what he says they are equal to "big O of delta x squared," as he said?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Big O

techieadmin said:
[tex](x+\Delta x)^{n} = x^{n} + nx^{n-1}\Delta x + junk[/tex]
[tex]junk = O((\Delta x)^{2})[/tex] ("big O of delta x squared")

What I'm confused about is the last line. Why is that what "junk" equals? I understand that the rest of the terms don't matter as [tex]\Delta x[/tex] approaches 0, but why are they equal to what he says they are equal to "big O of delta x squared," as he said?

Hi techieadmin! :smile:

"= O((∆x)2)" is shorthand for "is of the order of (∆x)2" …

for more details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation :smile:

Well, it's exactly what your title implies- the binomial theorem.

[tex](x+ y)^n= \sum_{i=0} \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{n-i}y^i[/tex]
When i= 0, [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ 0\end{array}\right)[/itex] is 1 so the i=0 term is [itex]x^n[/itex]. When i= 1, [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ 1\end{array}\right)[/itex] is n so the i= 1 term is [itex]nx^{n-1}y[/itex]. So
[tex](x+ y)^n= x^n+ n x^{n-1}y+ \sum_{i= 2}^n\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{n-i}y^i[/tex]
It is that last sum that is the "junk" referred to.

f(x)= O(g(x)) means that f(x) and g(x) go to the same limit "at about the same rate" as x goes to some value- specifically, that f(x)/g(x) has a no-zero finite limit.

Here, the "junk" involves powers of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] of degree 2 and higher: you could write it as
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ 2\end{array}\right)x^{n-2}(\Delta x)^2+ "other junk"[/tex]
where the "other junk" are the remaining terms: involving powers of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] of degree 3 and higher. Dividing that by [itex](\Delta x)^2[/itex] will give [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{n-2}[/itex] plus terms that still involve [itex]\Delta x[/itex] which will go to 0 as [itex]\Delta x[/itex] goes to 0 (which is, of course, the important value for a derivative).

So the "junk" eventually approaches some number which is multiplied by [tex]\Delta x^{2}[/tex] and since [tex]\Delta x[/tex] goes to 0, the "junk" eventually disappears?

What is the Binomial Theorem in Calculus?

The Binomial Theorem in Calculus is a mathematical concept that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to any power. It involves using the coefficients from Pascal's Triangle to find the terms in the expanded expression.

How is the Binomial Theorem used in Calculus?

The Binomial Theorem is used to simplify and solve complex binomial expressions. It also has applications in probability and statistics, as well as in the Taylor series expansion of functions in calculus.

What is the formula for the Binomial Theorem?

The general formula for the Binomial Theorem is (a+b)^n = Σ(nCr)(a^(n-r))(b^r), where n is the power, a and b are the terms of the binomial expression, and nCr represents the combination of n objects taken r at a time.

What are some real-life applications of the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem has applications in fields such as finance, engineering, and physics. It can be used to model the probability of outcomes in experiments and to approximate values in complex mathematical equations.

What are some common mistakes when using the Binomial Theorem?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the correct coefficients from Pascal's Triangle. Another mistake is not considering the order of terms in the expanded expression, which can change the overall result. It is also important to check for any negative or fractional powers and apply the appropriate rules when using the Binomial Theorem.