Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Binomial Theorem in Calculus

1. Dec 24, 2008 #1
    I've started listening to the lectures for the MIT OpenCourseWare 18.01 Single Variable Calculus class. I understood all of it up until the teacher found the derivative of xn. Here's what he wrote on the board:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} x^{n} = \frac{\Delta f}{\Delta x} = \frac{(x+\Delta x)^{n} - x^{n}}{\Delta x}[/tex]

That, I understand. Then we get to the binomial theorem to try to simplify [tex](x+\Delta x)^{n}[/tex]. The professor said that [tex](x + \Delta x)[/tex] is multiplied by itself n times, which I understand. Then he wrote:

[tex](x+\Delta x)^{n} = x^{n} + nx^{n-1}\Delta x + junk[/tex]
    [tex]junk = O((\Delta x)^{2})[/tex] ("big O of delta x squared")

What I'm confused about is the last line. Why is that what "junk" equals? I understand that the rest of the terms don't matter as [tex]\Delta x[/tex] approaches 0, but why are they equal to what he says they are equal to "big O of delta x squared," as he said?
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Big O

Hi techieadmin! :smile:

"= O((∆x)2)" is shorthand for "is of the order of (∆x)2" …

for more details, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_O_notation :smile:
  4. Dec 24, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, it's exactly what your title implies- the binomial theorem.

[tex](x+ y)^n= \sum_{i=0} \left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{n-i}y^i[/tex]
    When i= 0, [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ 0\end{array}\right)[/itex] is 1 so the i=0 term is [itex]x^n[/itex]. When i= 1, [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ 1\end{array}\right)[/itex] is n so the i= 1 term is [itex]nx^{n-1}y[/itex]. So
    [tex](x+ y)^n= x^n+ n x^{n-1}y+ \sum_{i= 2}^n\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{n-i}y^i[/tex]
    It is that last sum that is the "junk" referred to.

f(x)= O(g(x)) means that f(x) and g(x) go to the same limit "at about the same rate" as x goes to some value- specifically, that f(x)/g(x) has a no-zero finite limit.

Here, the "junk" involves powers of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] of degree 2 and higher: you could write it as
    [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ 2\end{array}\right)x^{n-2}(\Delta x)^2+ "other junk"[/tex]
    where the "other junk" are the remaining terms: involving powers of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] of degree 3 and higher. Dividing that by [itex](\Delta x)^2[/itex] will give [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}n \\ i\end{array}\right)x^{n-2}[/itex] plus terms that still involve [itex]\Delta x[/itex] which will go to 0 as [itex]\Delta x[/itex] goes to 0 (which is, of course, the important value for a derivative).
  5. Dec 24, 2008 #4
    So the "junk" eventually approaches some number which is multiplied by [tex]\Delta x^{2}[/tex] and since [tex]\Delta x[/tex] goes to 0, the "junk" eventually disappears?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?