Solving the Coefficient of x^33 in Binominal Theorem Expansion

• Thread starter morbello
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the coefficient of x^33 in the expansion of (1/4 2x^3)^17. The formula used is (a+b)^n = \sum \!^{n} C _k a^{n-k} b^k. The value of k that will produce the x^33 term is 11. The person was initially unsure how to find this value, but with some guidance, they were able to understand the concept.
morbello
ive been asked to work out the coefficent of x^33 in the expansion of

(1/4 2x^3)^17

i know about (a+b) and ^C_ but I am unsure how to get k which is c_k

i worked off (1/4)^17-k (2x^3)^k

which give me 17*1/4 =4 1/4 and that is were i went wrong could you tell me a way to work out k

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the only value of k that will produce the x^33 term?

so your saying some thing as simple as -16 would make the sum work.

Im not sure how you got -16.

The binomial expansion formula says that:

[tex](0.25+2x^3)^{17} = \sum \!^{17} C _k (0.25)^{17-k} (2x^3)^k[/tex]

As k ranges from 0 to 17. For which of those values of k will the x^33 term appear?

that is what I am not sure about i don't know an easy way to find k

Ok, well consider a few different values for k.

If k=1, then the (x^3)1=x3 term will appear. If k=2, then the (x^3)2=x6 term appears. Can you see now what value of k will make the x^33 term appears?

ok i see what you mean i did see a pice in the book about it but i was not sure what it ment.thank you i was thinking that both a+b worked together and did my maths around that i see i could look at it as b on its own.

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It is used to find the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

2. How do you solve for the coefficient of x^33 in the Binomial Theorem expansion?

To solve for the coefficient of x^33, we need to use the formula (n choose k), where n is the power of the binomial expression and k is the power of x that we are looking for. In this case, n = 33 and k = 33. Therefore, the coefficient of x^33 is (33 choose 33) = 1.

3. Can the Binomial Theorem be used for any power of a binomial expression?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem can be used for any power of a binomial expression. It is a general formula that can be applied to any binomial expression raised to a certain power.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of x^33 in the Binomial Theorem expansion?

The coefficient of x^33 represents the number of ways in which we can choose 33 terms from a binomial expression. It is also the number of terms in the expansion when the power of the binomial expression is 33.

5. Can the Binomial Theorem be used in other areas of mathematics?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem has many applications in mathematics, including in probability, statistics, and calculus. It is a powerful tool that can be used to solve various problems in different branches of mathematics.