Unconventional Strategies for Defeating a Robotic Army in Urban Warfare

In summary, the conversation discusses the weaknesses of a robotic army in urban warfare and potential strategies for defeating them. Some ideas include targeting their mainframe, using scarecrows to reveal their positions, and using genetically modified wasps to attack their sensors. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a distributed system for the robot army, where one member can take over as the leader if another is taken out. It is suggested that in the future, robotic armies may have the ability to maintain and repair themselves. Additionally, the conversation brings up the idea of incorporating medical support and mechanization into the robot army. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of using imagination and observational skills to create a compelling science fiction story.
GTOM said:
They will also produce fanatical clone armies, in SW like style. :D
Good guys with cloned armies of cannon fodder? That would be original :D
I wonder whether swimming creatures could seriously damage metal with some kind of acid? (While i said, i see serious problems with regular ships, but airships can also land on water, and i have nothing against subs.
Too complicated. I'd just teach cute critters how to attach a 1kg shaped charge below water surface, set timer and swim away.

De you mean, a tampered supply?
No, I think in line of one bad guy cheating another bad guy.

Yes, theese problems are all valid, and could turn the outcome of the war. :)
Stalin's purge almost cost him WW2. Repeating that would not be original. Making a big budgets cuts (it looks good on financial statement :D ) on experienced officers, and replacing them with AI which were promised to be as good but in less that 10% of the original cost, looks like a way of repeating that but in a corporate style. ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Czcibor said:
Stalin's purge almost cost him WW2. Repeating that would not be original.

Except Stalin wasn't the first guy in power to have problems with paranoia. Certainly he isn't the first Russian leader to have problems with paranoia (Ivan the Terrible). Then there is Robespierre. You could almost consider this sort of paranoia an occupational hazard.

It may help if we knew some details of your world. For example, why is there a robot invasion of Earth? What are they after? What are their goals? If it's something like annihilating all humans, then any land invasion is silly. Just bombard them from orbit and your pretty much done, unless they need the infrastructure intact for some reason. Without any details of what your story's world is like it's hard to give any suggestions.

GTOM said:
Maybe the ones against the robots could even launch at least one sneak commando attack against a base on a pacific island, after an EMP bombardment crippled security. The personnel of the robot base don't expect to be attacked by anything else than missiles.)

Hmm, do you think you're to the point in developing your story that you need to worry about specific events like individual battles and raids? Do you have your main characters and overall plot together yet? You say your story is about finding alien tech. That's a pretty general statement that could mean just about anything. How does this affect your main characters and their struggles? And by struggles I don't mean this war in general, I mean their personal struggles. What are their immediate goals and why?

Also, may I ask if you've ever written any stories before?

No, robots arent meant to annihilate humans.
Well i don't really want to publish the whole storyline, at first there is a war in the asteroid belt, Earth and Mars living in peace.
Then a science team find the alien stuff (you can imagine it like midi-chlorians, but hacking instead of telekinesis, also a big knowledge base), and that speeds up things.
Mercury wants to have all resources of Earth to win the war, it convinces the corrupt leaders of two nations, that with the new technology, and their economical power, they could take over Earth, and rule empires, otherwise there power will fail, and either they will be sentenced for corruption and serving the interests of Mercury instead of their own people (including hand over people to Mercury for torture - for example the girlfriend of the leader of the mentioned science team), or probably lynched if there will be a revolution. (Lots of people on Earth living in poverty.)
So the commanders of the robotic armies don't want to kill civilans, their labor is needed, infrastructure is needed.

There will be various types of characters in my story, from assassin and pirates to scientists and admiral, but no one likes the idea of a totalitarian empire ruling the Solar System with robotic armies.
Well, i have only told RP stories, currently I practice writing with short stories.

GTOM said:
Then a science team find the alien stuff (you can imagine it like midi-chlorians, but hacking instead of telekinesis, also a big knowledge base), and that speeds up things.

I don't know what this means really. Midi-chlorians (from star wars?) and hacking are so unrelated that I have no idea what you're trying to do.

GTOM said:
So the commanders of the robotic armies don't want to kill civilans, their labor is needed, infrastructure is needed.

So who's opposing them? Do other nations not have robotic armies as well?

Drakkith said:
I don't know what this means really. Midi-chlorians (from star wars?) and hacking are so unrelated that I have no idea what you're trying to do.
So who's opposing them? Do other nations not have robotic armies as well?

First : They arent midi-chlorians, it was just an analogy. So they are alien nanobots designed to living in symbiosis inside the body (I see no reason why aliens weren't DNA based) enable to control machines directly with the brain, and some pseudo telepathy. Of course it will be challenging to adapt to human brain and body, but they can solve it, well that isn't the most hard part (although if human cells could really boost mice brain, then maybe not just pure magic http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v495/n7440/full/495145a.html)

Every nation and corporation use drones more or less, but only one corporation and its vassals trust robots so much, to replace more traditional armies with them.
Other corporations arent so advanced in robotics, and fear hacking (majority of corporate leaders arent the most patriotic types, they could give away access codes for example), they use human marines and crew, other nations weren't really prepared for war, they don't have the infrastructure for mass producing intelligent robot fighters, so resistance is rather based on humans, who don't want to give up their freedom.

GTOM said:
Every nation and corporation use drones more or less, but only one corporation and its vassals trust robots so much, to replace more traditional armies with them.

You know I often wonder if the amount of evil we consider corporations to be capable of is really probable. Corporations are single interest entities; they want to sell you whatever kind of widget they make. I don't know that a corporation is really up to handling the responsibilities of a government. If the government becomes so feckless that corporations have to take over the government's responsibilities those corporations now have a massive headache they were never intended to handle. I'm picking these thoughts off the tree while their still a little green. I'll give this all some more thought and get back to you.

GTOM said:
First : They arent midi-chlorians, it was just an analogy.

Yes, I realize it was an analogy. I just didn't really understand what you were doing with it until you explained it.

So they are alien nanobots designed to living in symbiosis inside the body (I see no reason why aliens weren't DNA based) enable to control machines directly with the brain, and some pseudo telepathy.

Okay. Is this literally like telepathy, or is there some sort of requirement that needs to be met prior to hacking/controlling a machine, like physical contact, plugging a cable into your head and the machine, etc?

If the government becomes so feckless that corporations have to take over the government's responsibilities those corporations now have a massive headache they were never intended to handle.

They don't govern Earth, but let their pawns do that.
Generally they don't care about issues like welfare of the people (in the asteroid belt, where they are the rulers, although eventually they start to learn that they can't neglect this thing neither)
The leader of the main robot manufacturer on Mercury basically born in the wrong age... queens and princesses arent on the good side in my story.

Okay. Is this literally like telepathy, or is there some sort of requirement that needs to be met prior to hacking/controlling a machine, like physical contact, plugging a cable into your head and the machine, etc?

The later is human technology (although i replaced implanted chips and jacks with electrode helmets). The alien technology can do it remotely, i don't really know how, with some sort of electromagnetic radiation, particles, quantum tunneling, tachions whatever... but it still requires proximity.

Back to WWII analogies, i read that Hitler hoped the new Tiger tanks could win the Kursk battle, but they were still in experimental stage, had lots of technical problems, many failures... that can be general when introducing new kind of technology.
Before D-Day, more than once, the germans didnt really guarded valuables, so partisans or commandos could damage them.

I wonder what kind of strategic and other errors are believable? For example, i thought about how a commando could get in a base carved in rock? I read that NORAD has double blast doors, but what if a smaller base has only a single blast door?
They open it to release vehicles... that is the point, where the vehicles get blasted, the hidden commando charges in, while the wrecks prevent the door closing.

GTOM said:
So they are alien nanobots designed to living in symbiosis inside the body (I see no reason why aliens weren't DNA based) enable to control machines directly with the brain, and some pseudo telepathy. Of course it will be challenging to adapt to human brain and body, but they can solve it,
Jack Chalker did this in the fifth Well of Souls with the "Dreel."

Ok, i check the storyline, i hope it won't be so similar.

GTOM said:
I wonder what kind of strategic and other errors are believable? For example, i thought about how a commando could get in a base carved in rock? I read that NORAD has double blast doors, but what if a smaller base has only a single blast door?
They open it to release vehicles... that is the point, where the vehicles get blasted, the hidden commando charges in, while the wrecks prevent the door closing.

Okay. But why isn't he killed by the guards before he can get to the doors? Or right after he gets in the doors? Any well-secured base is going to have security both inside and outside, with plenty more ready to call up at a moments notice. (Unless you make the enemy comically inept)

GTOM said:
Ok, i check the storyline, i hope it won't be so similar.

Don't even worry about it being similar. If you are writing a completely different story set in a completely different universe no one will care in the slightest that the ideas are similar. No one cares about the hundreds of different portrayals of telepathy, FTL, magic, etc. As long as it fits the story then it's just fine.

I thought, that is a robot maintenance base, humans are barely able to shoot, and most robots are under maintenance, and they were only prepared for aerial bombardment, not for a stealth commando attack.
Of course i don't intend to make the enemy comic, although since they trust robots too much, some level of incompetence is accepted.

So you think that level of unpreparedness is too much, i rethink that part.

GTOM said:
I thought, that is a robot maintenance base, humans are barely able to shoot, and most robots are under maintenance, and they were only prepared for aerial bombardment, not for a stealth commando attack.

Okay. So what's the significance of this place? Obviously it isn't that high of value to the enemy if a small numbers of commandos are able to successfully attack it. The amount of protection scales directly with the importance of the target. A high-value target will be heavily defended, no matter how far from the front lines it is.

Also, why is a maintenance facility located inside a mountain? It is extraordinarily expensive and difficult to build a facility inside a mountain. Plus, a maintenance facility typically needs lot of parts, tools, and other supplies. A modern military base usually requires the local infrastructure to support itself, and it is an immense undertaking to supply a remote location with supplies, especially in the middle of a war where you can't always rely on commercial transportation like you can during peace. A single entrance that's locked with a blast door just doesn't work well for a maintenance facility.

GTOM said:
Of course i don't intend to make the enemy comic, although since they trust robots too much, some level of incompetence is accepted.

Why? What is it about trusting robots that makes them incompetent? In what way are they incompetent? Tactically? Strategically? Logistically? Other ways? Don't be afraid to get specific.

GTOM said:
So you think that level of unpreparedness is too much, i rethink that part.

I think that you need to learn more about how a modern military works and then apply what you need for your story. For example, high-security compounds typically have multiple checkpoints, guarded gates, patrols, and other defenses well before you ever get to the main facility itself, so it isn't just a matter of blowing open a door and rushing in. Simply saying, "they weren't prepared for an attack" is ludicrous if you want to portray them as a tangible threat.

By the way, I hope you're taking all this as constructive criticism. These kinds of questions are exactly what you need to answer in order to make a believable story. You don't need to necessarily change anything, but it would help immensely if you came up with good reasons for these things to be the way they are.

I also wanted to touch on what you said in another thread:

GTOM said:
In my story, the villain can be a lesser evil, because while Earth is infested heavily by corruption, poverty and sin, her realm offers good education, college for everyone, ability to raise the allowed number of kids properly, total surveillance also creates very low rate of crime, good health care (if the one can be a good worker again, or was a stahanovist) and also mass feasts to color people's lives.

This is just not believable at all. Corruption, poverty, and sin are typically mutually exclusive with things like good education, low crime rate, good health, feasts, etc.

Sorry for my poor English, i left out something.

While Earth is infested heavily by corruption, poverty and sin, on the contrary her realm (Mercury) offers good education etc...

"Also, why is a maintenance facility located inside a mountain?" For protection vs aerial bombardment i thought.

"Why? What is it about trusting robots that makes them incompetent? In what way are they incompetent? Tactically? Strategically? Logistically? Other ways? Don't be afraid to get specific."

After long last peace they became too convenient, when the war brakes out, they are overconfident, that superior number of robots, missiles, factories are enough, and don't care enough about details and hardships. So I think tactically mostly.
(After a time there can be logistic problems also as they can import less and less ore from the asteroid mines.)

Well i welcome constructive critics, I also don't like too stupid enemies or the trope Imperial Stormtrooper marksmanship.
On the other hand, i read that in WWII a commando was even able to damage a facility where the germans had nuclear research.
IMHO as the war progresses, eventually there will be places that has importance, but not so well guarded.

Last edited:
GTOM said:
"Also, why is a maintenance facility located inside a mountain?" For protection vs aerial bombardment i thought.

It seems far more likely, to me, that they'd just build more air defenses instead. Carving out a mountain is much more expensive and time consuming. Of course, there's no reason they couldn't have taken an old military complex that already existed... the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is nearly closed down at the moment, with only a standby crew at work. It's completely plausible that the robots either took over an empty complex or just rolled over the skeleton crew that may have been there.

GTOM said:
After long last peace they became too convenient, when the war brakes out, they are overconfident, that superior number of robots, missiles, factories are enough, and don't care enough about details and hardships. So I think tactically mostly.
(After a time there can be logistic problems also as they can import less and less ore from the asteroid mines.)

Something like a reverse Hitler then? Hitler underestimated the under-equipped, under-trained, and under-led Soviet militay and was trapped in a war of attrition that he couldn't afford (but the Soviet's could. Barely). I could see strategic-level mistakes, such as poor target selection or attacking too many places at once, leading to a sort of "stalemate", especially if their enemy can trap a large portion of their military in a fight they can't afford to lose and can't afford to back out of.

GTOM said:
Well i welcome constructive critics, I also don't like too stupid enemies or the trope Imperial Stormtrooper marksmanship.
On the other hand, i read that in WWII a commando was even able to damage a facility where the germans had nuclear research.
IMHO as the war progresses, eventually there will be places that has importance, but not so well guarded.

Sure. But I don't remember the German nuclear weapons program as being a high priority for the German command, hence why it was extremely under-funded. And my statement about commandos was only meant to apply to some sort of direct frontal attack on a well-guarded facility or the main gates of an installation. Real world commando units probably don't do frontal assaults.

One thing I found interesting about the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship trope was that it is actually pretty realistic. The issue is that the heroes generally have Improbable Aiming Skills. (But like they say on the tvtropes page, tropes are not bad. It's all about how you use them)

Last edited:
Drakkith said:
It seems far more likely, to me, that they'd just build more air defenses instead. Carving out a mountain is much more expensive and time consuming. Of course, there's no reason they couldn't have taken an old military complex that already existed... the Cheyenne Mountain Complex is nearly closed down at the moment, with only a standby crew at work. It's completely plausible that the robots either took over an empty complex or just rolled over the skeleton crew that may have been there.

I though about a Pacific island, with some old Japanese base (i read that Americans blew the entrances of one), or mine or something like that.
There will be though aerial defence for sure, but rock is also a protection.

Something like a reverse Hitler then? Hitler underestimated the under-equipped, under-trained, and under-led Soviet militay and was trapped in a war of attrition that he couldn't afford (but the Soviet's could. Barely). I could see strategic-level mistakes, such as poor target selection or attacking too many places at once, leading to a sort of "stalemate", especially if their enemy can trap a large portion of their military in a fight they can't afford to lose and can't afford to back out of.

Yes theese things can also play.
Also a bit overestimate the alienware breakthrough in robotics and underestimate alienware breakthroughs of others (fanatical clone army, super healing, superstrong magnets that allow better coilgun construction and counter desintegrators by shattering plasma beams. I think the desintegrator was rather a cutting tool than a weapon, and analyze the alien knowledge base is a though stuff, the four people became nanobot users understand different parts really well - magnetism, hacking, persuasion, biology, plasma applications etc.)

Well,

Do you still edit the last part?

Last edited:
GTOM said:
Do you still edit the last part?

I edited it. I went to get a hair off my laptop's screen (which is also a touchscreen) and accidentally clicked post before I was done typing.

Sure. But I don't remember the German nuclear weapons program as being a high priority for the German command, hence why it was extremely under-funded. And my statement about commandos was only meant to apply to some sort of direct frontal attack on a well-guarded facility or the main gates of an installation. Real world commando units probably don't do frontal assaults.

One thing I found interesting about the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship trope was that it is actually pretty realistic. The issue is that the heroes generally have Improbable Aiming Skills. (But like they say on the tvtropes page, tropes are not bad. It's all about how you use them)

Leave open some back door would be definitally too stupid IMHO.
Otherwise i think a corridor fight is different from firing to someone 100m away concealed with bushes.

Now i decided to move the scene, that it should happen on Mars, the robots come to take out the mega laser batteries and anti-satellite missile silos that protect the cities (mostly the south pole capital) and capture the cities (ruin them with bombardment would be a war crime)
The defenders also have automated defence batteries, recon drones, but i don't want to leave out human soldiers. Well oxygen supply and treat the wounds is challenging in the martian environment...

What kind of challenges robots could face in sandstorms? (they tested for both 1/3 and 1g but for sterile environments)
Could it make sense in the thin atmosphere to launch projectiles that open large nets against tiny recon drones? (similar to the tool we use to hit flies)
Does it have some plausibility level to gene-engineer microbes, that survive in martian environment, attracted the heat and radiation of the machines, and generate some corrosive acid?

GTOM said:
Does it have some plausibility level to gene-engineer microbes, that survive in martian environment, attracted the heat and radiation of the machines, and generate some corrosive acid?

Well...how long would the microbes have to survive in the wild? What do they eat when enemy robots don't present themselves for Thanksgiving. Do they lie dormant on or in the soil like anthrax. Can they come back and bite you in the butt? Other things to think about is who would this occur to? If I wanted to fight robots in this way I would use nano-bots, not microbes. Breeding a microbe like this would require a lot of expertise. It would be done by a community who do this sort of thing all the time. Those killer robots out there would be a nail, and the people looking at them would have to be so used to using this form of technology that it would occur to them that this is the hammer.

GTOM said:
Now i decided to move the scene, that it should happen on Mars, the robots come to take out the mega laser batteries and anti-satellite missile silos that protect the cities (mostly the south pole capital) and capture the cities (ruin them with bombardment would be a war crime)
The defenders also have automated defence batteries, recon drones, but i don't want to leave out human soldiers. Well oxygen supply and treat the wounds is challenging in the martian environment...

What kind of challenges robots could face in sandstorms? (they tested for both 1/3 and 1g but for sterile environments)
Could it make sense in the thin atmosphere to launch projectiles that open large nets against tiny recon drones? (similar to the tool we use to hit flies)

Sand storm? I've got an idea for you. If you use radio waves - you betray your position. You are also susceptible to jamming. So some engineer (or even better a manager) may have brilliantly decided to use laser communication instead. Detection proof. Jamming proof.

Sand storm? O sh***!Thin atmosphere without oxygen is an awful place for any flying drones.

However, think about conventional artillery or railguns...(tiny friction and lower gravity...)

Thanks.

Microbes don't have to survive for long, since the intended use is to spray them onto robots with a bomb. I think the line between nanobots and microbes is rather blurred in that case.

Flyers should rely on rocket engines instead of rotors.
Yes, i have also thought about the combo of sandstorm interferes with optics and developed emp weapons can be pretty bad, human marines can get close to enemy tanks. The defenders had to develop really advanced sensor technology to effectively use the laser dome even during sandstorm (well that also effect kinetic bomb accuracy)

Khatti said:
Those killer robots out there would be a nail, and the people looking at them would have to be so used to using this form of technology that it would occur to them that this is the hammer.

I think I need to clarify what I meant here, something I should have done the first time. If you have a community that can put together microbes like this they must be a long standing community. That means that they were doing something with biological engineering before the warring robots came. I would suggest that you give some thought to what. Terraforming? Taking advantage of Mars' corporate tax rate? Fleeing from persecution seems highly unlikely, but I suppose that would be another thought. I don't think just one technician or engineer could do this, it would have to be a community. What does this community do when not fighting the good fight?

On a wholly unrelated issue: GTOM, Czcibor, Kashishi--man I've missed you guys!

Likes GTOM
GTOM said:
Thanks.

Microbes don't have to survive for long, since the intended use is to spray them onto robots with a bomb. I think the line between nanobots and microbes is rather blurred in that case.

Flyers should rely on rocket engines instead of rotors.
Yes, i have also thought about the combo of sandstorm interferes with optics and developed emp weapons can be pretty bad, human marines can get close to enemy tanks. The defenders had to develop really advanced sensor technology to effectively use the laser dome even during sandstorm (well that also effect kinetic bomb accuracy)

I'm not sure whether you don't get me right or you already interpreted it creatively to fit your setting...

For purpose of my setting I faced with the following problem.

Would AI be good enough to lead battle vehicle? If not then how to communicate without giving away position or risking interruption? Then laser communication.

You don't have to use EMP for that purpose. Merely risk that one would weaponize micro wave ovens to make enough noise electromagnetic to disturb communication is enough.
And I don't mean here laser used to shoot down anything... just communication.

Imagine that because of storm whole army is left in default mode and mostly blind. Or even the best - after a few cases of friendly fire it was set to require direct contact with HQ to confirm target and get permission to fire. And some guys with bazookas (or whatever) destroy it one by one...

Czcibor: Sorry i had to think about it.
On one hand, robots have definitally good enough friend or foe system, and mission planners knew they have to deal with more or less dusty atmosphere.
On the other hand, you are right :smile:, for decades, they thought, why should we bother with outdated technology, if they use fog bombs inside a space colony, they will surely disperse chaff also, that isn't good enough reason to use radios. So their radio equipment will be poor at best.
Without effective communication, dumb robots don't retreat even if their squadron is overpowered, when they finally launch counterattack, humans can quickly leave their position, and leave a few bazookas on timers or proximity fuses... robotanks see, so they still fire at us, shell the area, friendly fire takes its toll.
Then attack on another place with fast safe aerial transport.

That means that they were doing something with biological engineering before the warring robots came.

Well there will be a megacorp on Earth that performed a number of nazi experiments on garbage heap inhabitants in order to perfect drugs, alter human behavior and genes...
They have good connections on Mars also.
http://www.iflscience.com/space/darpa-wants-terraform-mars
(I find full terraforming quite implausible due to thin atmosphere and lack of strong magnetosphere)
A scientist (friend to main scientist character) joins to them in order to expose them, after it, he can go to Mars to give them the developments. Although i still wonder whether it has any plausibility that theese microbes can do significant damage in a reasonable time scale?

How should be human wounds treated in thin atmosphere? Cauterize them with lasers, and put some plastic on them that soldifies quickly in order to prevent depressurization?

GTOM said:
Czcibor: Sorry i had to think about it.
On one hand, robots have definitally good enough friend or foe system, and mission planners knew they have to deal with more or less dusty atmosphere.
[...]
Without effective communication, dumb robots don't retreat even if their squadron is overpowered, when they finally launch counterattack, humans can quickly leave their position, and leave a few bazookas on timers or proximity fuses... robotanks see, so they still fire at us, shell the area, friendly fire takes its toll.
Let me please specify this idea a bit more
1) friend or foe actually works quite well, most of the time
2) unfortunately there were a few cases (for million of robots or so) of friendly fire
3) a low rank engineer got scolded for that and threatened that next robot lost to friendly fire would be just subtracted from his salary
4) he set - robots on default, without a contact with base are not allowed to open fire
5) resistance deducted such flaw, because in case of a few attacks answering with fire was slow at start, as if someone had to confirm specific targets or had to manually allow firing at will
6) in actual chaotic confrontation in the dust storm the robots can turned out not so dumb, just not allowed to fire :D
How should be human wounds treated in thin atmosphere? Cauterize them with lasers, and put some plastic on them that soldifies quickly in order to prevent depressurization?

I would think some ready sets halfway between band aid and duct tape... To be applied immediately.

EDIT: because of need of treating wound that would be under space suit... glue-like treating wound liquid in spray and pressurize everything by duct tape.

EDIT2: Have you seen "spandex spacesuit"?

Yes I have seen spandex spacesuit, they will definitally use it (in less dangerous environments, filtered cosmic rays, no micrometeors), it is cool. :)

Hmm good ideas about IFF. Although i think it should rather apply to the before war scene, the raid on embassy. ("I know it is ridicolous, but robot, you can't pump someone full of lead because throwing a molotov to the fence. Fire only when absolutely sure." Then start the raid with taking out laser control dishes and fill the area with smoke. )
Thanks. :)
Although i think, they will surely have a protocol to attack enemy of friend.

I though about another issue.
Waste heat treatment can be done by heat sinks and radiator wings in space, but the later is quite vulnerable. Inside a space colony, one can use ventillator in thick atmosphere. Robots might have problems with thin, dusty atmosphere. Maybe a ventillation system can be a place for the corrosive microbes, and cause performance problems in a week.

A couple of well placed thermo nuclear weapons are a match for any robot army. Guidance systems becoming precise to a few meters.

The issue with any credible warfare on a large nation or planetary scale is that nations facing annihilation don't go 'oops' and not get out their big toys. Civilizations with FTL or going to other planets..or advanced robotics do not rely on robots holding laser guns that seem to miss hitting their target. They will have Mutual destructive capabilities...the USS and Soviets already had this 50 years ago.

Any robot scenario has more credibility in some near future dystopia type scenario. A totalitarian state that is trying to over manage society for whatever reason. Perhaps not 'evil' but rather some artificial intelligence on some wrong track. Robots deployed to enforce what might appear to be silly things rather than controlled for some political goal.

Anyways, robots deployed because they are 'better' is just arm escalation. 'Better' had led to nuclear weapons. Make a robotic army better than ours and we feel threatend. We escalate by targeting your leaders and infrastructure with a nuclear tipped missile. The Iranian regime would be radioactive burnt toast tomorrow if they sent robots against the Israelis or Americans.

Last edited:
GTOM:
I think that you gave for other people on the forum a bit too hard challenge. I mean seriously. For a planet without breathable atmosphere any robot army is under normal conditions clearly superior to any biological army. To deal with this problem:
1) Human and organization factor is the weakest part. Whole class of problems how to manage those armies, problems with cheapest contractors, cutting cost on middle management, logistic problems, internal fights within corporation that makes army which is theoretically quite good to turn into an embarrassing scandal (think in line of Winter War, except a corporation don't mass execute its officers and had to replace them with freshly promoted privates, it just downsized middle management, and replaced them with interns and temp workers)
2) Terraforming planet enough to allow GMO life to thrive (you may add doing it on a huge loan...). You need some oxygen, humans would still have to run in breathing apparatus.
3) Defender's advantage:
a) fight on long range lasers between bases and attacking fleet, turn it into matter of power generation and dissipating heat, just one who has planet can use cheap nuclear reactors (yes, concrete is cheap) and instead of using complicated and vulnerable heat sinks, can just turn into steam another hundred of cubic metres of water
b) transport challenge - it doesn't it matter whether invader has an overwhelming army, it matters whether can transport in one go enough soldiers. If not that invasion ends up with defenders slaughtering all beachheads before their reinforcements come.

I think that you gave for other people on the forum a bit too hard challenge. I mean seriously. For a planet without breathable atmosphere any robot army is under normal conditions clearly superior to any biological army.

Good point as usual. :) I don't think that terraforming is realistic, but due to point 3a and 3b and also 1 (before war executing or at least investigating a number of people for conspiracy, unwillingness to support such a big and risky war) they wouldn't have any chance against Mars if their robots weren't superior, the robo army were prepared for overtaking asteroid colonies one by one, they don't have small planetoid sized ships.
Most human defenders have to fill logistic, mechanic, medical roles, a small percent of them mounts tanks, jetcopters, powered personal armors.

The issue with any credible warfare on a large nation or planetary scale is that nations facing annihilation don't go 'oops' and not get out their big toys.

Interplanetary laws makes it quite clear, that losing the war isn't annihilation people can still live, leaders can go to exile. Using nukes (or large scale asteroid bombardment) that is annihilation, if the leader's own men don't stop him making such things, they will be killed also.

GTOM said:
I don't think that terraforming is realistic, but due to point 3a and 3b and also 1 (before war executing or at least investigating a number of people for conspiracy, unwillingness to support such a big and risky war) they wouldn't have any chance against Mars if their robots weren't superior, the robo army were prepared for overtaking asteroid colonies one by one, they don't have small planetoid sized ships.
Most human defenders have to fill logistic, mechanic, medical roles, a small percent of them mounts tanks, jetcopters, powered personal armors.
I used to consider terraforming as unrealistic, but it seems feasible, just I'm not convinced fully worth the effort. And no idea whether it fits your setting. Very nice study, that would pass this forum guidelines for respectable enough sources: ;)

www2.isunet.edu/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=334

Executive summary:
-build a few nuclear power plants and using local mines start producing tetrafluoromethane which is 6500 times more potent greenhouse gas than CO2
-ram a few comets to bring additional air (either on ice cap, or to create a nice round lakes near equator)
-watch a while of runaway greenohouse effect after your ice cap melt all CO2
-breed a black, UV resistant lichen and let it spread around (O2 + decreasing albedo)

EDIT: Anyway, what about building seas/lakes that have higher salt content:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freezing-point_depression

Back