Biomedical Engineering: Career Options for an Ambitious 29-Year-Old

In summary, the speaker is considering going back to school and is deciding between studying biomedical/chemical engineering or sonography. They are concerned about their age and job prospects in the engineering field, but also unsure if they will enjoy a career in sonography. They are seeking advice and considering the potential debt for each option. It is mentioned that age should not be a barrier in career prospects and that older individuals can bring valuable life experience to a position. They express gratitude for the responses given.
Betty101
Hello everyone,

I am very indecisive when it comes to my major as my situation is out of ordinary.
I am 29 years old and I have already graduated from a college in my country (but that is not an option). However, I moved to USA 4 years ago and finally I am able to do something with my life.

First, I want to go back to school and after considering few fields and careers I am down to two.

One is biomedical engineering (or chemical) and the other one is sonography (ultrasound).

I am really interested in what the things are made of and engineering is something I would really enjoy. However, being a female and 29, I am not sure this will be the right decision.

By the time I graduate I will be 34 and only hold BA degree. Also, not sure if I will be able to find a job. If I have to go to grad school it will be 2 more years, so I will be 36 with a degree but no experience. Would anyone hire me?

Sonography , on the other hand, doesn't sound that bad. It takes only 3 years to complete. I don't think experience is that important and no Masters degree is necessary. Also, finding a job shouldn't be that hard. Salary is nice too.
The problem is, I ambitious and therefore not sure I would enjoy this kind of career.Please, any advice will be appreciated. Also, I would like to learn more about the engineering field.Thank you.
smile.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Myself I just went back to do engineering. When I started I was also 29. Now being done and graduated I can say its well worth it. The time will go by faster than you think.

The biggest issue I had going back to school was dealing with the younger people. I found most of them didn't have the motivation to do the required level of work. I was able to find a group of like minded folks (most of us older than the average student) and that really helped.

Figure out what you would enjoy the most and go for it!

Both are good options.

I wouldn't let your age stop you if you really want to go the engineering route. It won't make a difference in your career prospects.

I agree that it probably won't make much difference in career prospects, but it would make a difference in the acceptable level of debt. You have fewer working years left, so you will not be able to repay excessive loans.

Note, that hiring managers are legally prohibited from discriminating based on age. At least in my company the HR department is very clear about that.

Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
Note, that hiring managers are legally prohibited from discriminating based on age. At least in my company the HR department is very clear about that.

Not only that, but there can be very good reasons for hiring an older person for an entry level position. Very young people can be perceived as transient and more willing or able to jump to another position as it suits them. Older candidates can come across as more mature, and though they may not have as much position-specific experience, they can bring more life experience to the position. Sometimes that's just as important as one's skill set.

Thank you for your answers. I agree about the debt but I will try to keep it low. There are some good and not too expensive options for engineering here in Illinois.

Related to Biomedical Engineering: Career Options for an Ambitious 29-Year-Old

What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to design and create solutions for healthcare and medical problems. This can include developing medical devices, prosthetics, imaging systems, and other technologies to improve the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases and injuries.

What are the career options for a 29-year-old in the field of biomedical engineering?

As a 29-year-old, you may already have some experience and knowledge in the field of biomedical engineering. Some possible career options include working as a biomedical engineer in a hospital, medical device company, or research institution. You could also pursue a career in academia, teaching and conducting research in the field. Additionally, you could explore opportunities in regulatory affairs, quality control, or medical sales related to biomedical engineering.

What skills and qualifications are needed for a career in biomedical engineering?

To work in the field of biomedical engineering, you will need a strong foundation in both engineering and biology, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. A bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering or a related field is usually required, and many positions may also require a graduate degree. In addition, experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of medical regulations and standards may be beneficial for certain roles.

What are some potential challenges and rewards of a career in biomedical engineering?

Like any career, there are both challenges and rewards in the field of biomedical engineering. Some potential challenges may include the constant need to keep up with advancements in technology and medical knowledge, as well as the pressure to develop safe and effective solutions for healthcare problems. However, the rewards can be significant, such as the satisfaction of making a positive impact on people's lives, the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology, and the potential for career growth and advancement.

How can a 29-year-old interested in biomedical engineering get started in this field?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in biomedical engineering, there are several steps you can take. First, consider obtaining a degree in biomedical engineering or a related field. You can also gain experience through internships or research opportunities in the field. Networking with professionals in the industry and staying up-to-date on advancements and opportunities can also help you get started. Additionally, consider pursuing certifications or advanced degrees to further enhance your knowledge and skills in the field.