Biopolymers and peristence length

• Thread starter Stratos4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, we discussed the effect of varying contour lengths on polymers attached to a wall and how the new persistence length may appear to be higher or lower depending on the situation. We also touched on the possibility of polymer unfolding and its impact on persistence length.
Stratos4
Hi there all..

I would really need your help with the following problem.

Supposing you have two or more polymers, with the same persistence length but varying contour lengths, that are firmly attached in a parallel way upon e.g. a wall.

[URL]http://img16.imageshack.us/i/75897307.jpg/[/URL]

The bead on the left is stationary, and the polymers are part of the cell wall on the right and suppose that the wall starts moving towards the right direction.

If the contour lengths are different it means that at a certain distance one of the two polymers will slip and then i will only have 1 polymer left.

a) In this case (one polymer) the new persistence length will be higher than the old one (of the two polymers)?
b) If the new persistence length is lower than the old one can this mean that the polymer portion which is attached on the sphere unfolds, hence gaining contour length but losing persistence length?

I am waiting for your responses :)

edit: I now see that the image i uploaded is not there...
http://img16.imageshack.us/i/75897307.jpg/

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this problem. It is an interesting question and I am happy to provide some insight.

a) In the case of one polymer, the new persistence length will not necessarily be higher than the old one. The persistence length is a physical property of the polymer and is not affected by the presence of other polymers. However, the effective persistence length of the remaining polymer may appear to be higher due to the absence of the other polymer.

b) If the new persistence length is lower than the old one, it is possible that the polymer portion attached to the sphere may unfold, gaining contour length but losing persistence length. This is because the persistence length is a measure of the flexibility of a polymer, and if the polymer is stretched out due to the movement of the wall, it may appear to have a lower persistence length.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you have any further inquiries, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your research!

What are biopolymers and how are they different from synthetic polymers?

Biopolymers are polymers that are naturally produced by living organisms, such as proteins, nucleic acids, and carbohydrates. They are different from synthetic polymers because they are produced by living organisms and have specific functions in biological systems.

What is the persistence length of a biopolymer?

The persistence length of a biopolymer is a measure of its stiffness or rigidity. It is the length over which the polymer maintains its orientation in a given direction before it starts to bend or twist. It is an important characteristic of biopolymers as it affects their ability to perform their biological functions.

How is the persistence length of a biopolymer determined?

The persistence length of a biopolymer can be determined experimentally using techniques such as atomic force microscopy or optical tweezers. These techniques involve stretching the polymer and measuring the force required to bend or twist it, which can then be used to calculate the persistence length.

What factors affect the persistence length of a biopolymer?

The persistence length of a biopolymer can be affected by various factors, including its chemical composition, molecular weight, and environment. For example, a higher molecular weight and a more rigid chemical structure can result in a longer persistence length.

Why is the persistence length of biopolymers important in biophysics and biotechnology?

The persistence length of biopolymers is important in biophysics and biotechnology because it affects the behavior and function of these molecules in biological systems. Understanding the persistence length can help us design and engineer biopolymers for specific applications, such as drug delivery or tissue engineering.