BIOS and UEFI: Unraveling the Confusion

• Thread starter ki_2004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, UEFI is a standardized way to present the basic IO system (which is what BIOS means) plus additional capabilities. UEFI boots in 16 bit real mode, but it can also start in 32 bit real mode if needed. UEFI uses a dedicated disk partition to hold boot-strap code, and unfortunately, it is completely incompatible with the older BIOS boot methods, where all boot-strap code was on a chip on the device itself. UEFI was devised because the BIOS boot procedure needed more memory.
ki_2004
For me BIOS and UEFI is all now confusing :-)

Is there any element similar to BIOS in UEFI? When a UEFI based PC starts, is there any BIOS component, 16 Bit real mode starting from Reset Vector that still runs and then it actually loads UEFI or is it the UEFI firmware right from the very first instruction?

Also whenever a legacy BIOS PC starts, it does POST and Memory detection etc and displays the total RAM which typically is 2 or 4 or even more GBs now. If the CPU starts in real mode and that limits 1 MB addressable memory, how BIOS is able to access and report these high figures of total RAM that is way way more than 1 MB. Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
UEFI is just a standardized way to present the basic IO system (which is what BIOS means) plus additional capabilities. You boot in the UEFI. There is no BIOS in a machine with UEFI unless you want to say "the bios is UEFI".

All machines need to present basic IO operations to start, so you could sort of say it is running a bios, but again, the whole package is called UEFI.

Whether UEFI starts in 16 bit real mode, or if so how long it stays there is beyond what I know. It's not like there is a separate BIOS that boots UEFI. It is all UEFI.

UEFI uses a dedicated disk partition to hold boot-strap code, and unfortunately, it is completely incompatible with the older BIOS boot methods, where all boot-strap code was on a chip on the device itself. UEFI was devised because the BIOS boot procedure needed more memory. I was against UEFI from the get-go because there was no way to do it to preserve what we had always had, which was device compatibility. With UEFI, it is not as easy (or as likely) for devices to be universally compatible across hardware brands, because that dedicated disk partition has to be present. But, nobody listened to me. Now we have crap compatibility and confusion that is widespread and not easy to break through. Humph. Grump. And yes, I am a curmudgeon.

Likes meBigGuy

What is BIOS and UEFI?

BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) are two types of firmware that are responsible for starting up and initializing a computer's hardware components before the operating system takes over. They are essential for the proper functioning of a computer.

What is the main difference between BIOS and UEFI?

The main difference between BIOS and UEFI is the way they interact with the hardware. BIOS uses a simple text-based interface and relies on the Master Boot Record (MBR) to locate and load the operating system. On the other hand, UEFI uses a graphical interface and supports GPT (GUID Partition Table), which allows for larger disk capacities and faster boot times.

Can I switch from BIOS to UEFI?

It is possible to switch from BIOS to UEFI, but it is not a simple process. It requires updating the motherboard firmware and reinstalling the operating system. It is recommended to consult with a professional before attempting to switch to UEFI.

How do I access the BIOS or UEFI settings?

The process of accessing the BIOS or UEFI settings varies depending on the manufacturer. Typically, you need to press a specific key (such as F2, F10, or Del) during the boot process. It is best to consult the computer's manual or do a quick online search for the specific key for your device.

Do I need to update my BIOS or UEFI?

BIOS and UEFI updates are released by manufacturers to fix bugs, improve performance, and add new features. It is not necessary to update unless you are experiencing issues or need a specific feature. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when updating your firmware.