Biot-Savart - Differential Length Element?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Biot-Savart law to calculate the magnetic field strength along the center of an asymmetric solenoid. The coils are parameterized using x = r cos 2(pi)t, y = r sin 2(pi)t, and z = D t, where r is the radius of the coil layer, D is the diameter of the wire, and t represents the number of coils. The speaker is having difficulty understanding the "differential current length element" in the equation, but eventually figures out that it is simply the velocity vector. They also mention that the "differential length element" is the derivative of the curve length multiplied by the unit vector of velocity. The conversation ends with a
nickypoo
Hi, I'm trying to work with the Biot-Savart law to look at the magnetic field strength along the center of an asymmetric solenoid I wrapped.

6fcdf7562220f3283c4395015d36e449.png

I parameterized the coils with x = r cos 2(pi)t, y = r sin 2(pi)t, and z = D t
where r is the radius of the coil layer, D is the diameter of the wire, and t represents the number of coils.

I'm having difficulty understanding what the "differential current length element" (dl) is in the equation. I understand the vector will be in the direction of the tangential velocity, but I don't understand the "differential" part.

Every other component in the equation is pretty straightforward to me.

First I tried dividing the unit vector of the velocity by the length of the curve, but I'm fairly certain that's just wrong. Pardon my ignorance. But I carried out the formula to completion with this and got a cool 2-dimensional function that had an accurately shaped graph, but inaccurate values.

Please help me understand what the "differential length" means. Would it just be the unit vector of the direction of current flow?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I think I've found an answer by bumbling around for a little bit. If I use the velocity vector alone as dl then I get a solution that's exactly equivalent to a formula I found online for this calculation.

Now can anyone explain how this works?

Thank you.

Now I understand if I look at what I have to do to calculate the length of the curve. All the "differential length element" is, is the derivative of the length of the curve multiplied by the unit vector of velocity:

[itex]\sqrt{(\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})^2+(\frac{\partial y}{\partial t})^2+(\frac{\partial z}{\partial t})^2}[/itex] [itex]\bullet[/itex] [itex]\hat{v}[/itex]

Or simply just the velocity vector.

Thanks for nothing! Lol jk.

IdL is the current in the element of the wire dL. All you are doing is integrating the magnetic field that these current elements produce at a fixed point in space. This gives you the magnetic field that wire produces as the the sum of the fields produced by each element.

If I is measured as a current density, current/unit length, the dl must be the unit tangent.

Last edited:

Related to Biot-Savart - Differential Length Element?

1. What is the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field produced by a steady current. It states that the magnetic field at a particular point is directly proportional to the current, the length of the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the point.

2. Who discovered the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law was discovered by French scientists Jean-Baptiste Biot and Félix Savart in the early 19th century. They conducted experiments to determine the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields.

3. What is a differential length element in the context of the Biot-Savart Law?

A differential length element refers to a small segment of current-carrying wire that is used in the calculation of the magnetic field using the Biot-Savart Law. It is usually represented by the symbol dl and is used to represent a small length of the wire.

4. What is the mathematical formula for the Biot-Savart Law?

The mathematical formula for the Biot-Savart Law is B = (μ0/4π) * (Idl x ẑ)/r², where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, dl is the differential length element, ẑ is a unit vector in the direction of the current, and r is the distance from the current to the point where the magnetic field is being calculated.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Biot-Savart Law?

The Biot-Savart Law is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Additionally, the Biot-Savart Law is used in the study of fluid dynamics, specifically in the calculation of induced magnetic fields in conducting fluids.