BJT output voltage as function of input voltage

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The circuit below is a BJT common emitter amplifier. Find Vout as a function of Vin. This may seem hard to parse at first, but it is actually pretty straightforward. Carefully replace the BJT symbol with the model for a BJT we used in class, making sure the base (B), emitter (E), and collector (C) terminals are connected properly, then use any method you want to solve for Vout!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution doesn't use V0 at all. I am wondering if my connection is correct and if I did this correctly.

Attachments

• 3.6.png
    3.6.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 424
  • 3.6 attempt 1.pdf
    166.1 KB · Views: 204

Answers and Replies

Looks ok for me. And your BJT model is too too simplified to be able to take into account the Vo influence.

Last edited:
rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Fine, except needs a minus sign.

gfd43tg
Gold Member
why the minus sign?

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
why the minus sign?

Because if the input goes up, the output goes down.
If your input were a sine wave, the output would be a sine wave of opposite phase.

gfd43tg
Gold Member
where does the minus sign come in for the analysis? I don't just want to tack on a negative to the front of my answer based on a concept with no proof

No, you don't need any "minus" sign. In "normal" CE amplifier the output voltage is taken between collector and ground. But in your circuit Vout is the voltage across Rc resistor. So you don't need "minus" sign.

rude man
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
No, you don't need any "minus" sign. In "normal" CE amplifier the output voltage is taken between collector and ground. But in your circuit Vout is the voltage across Rc resistor. So you don't need "minus" sign.

That is correct. Why anyone would want to take the output that way I don't understand, but you are correct.