Black body radiation

• Thread starter Herculi
  • Start date
Homework Statement:
Relevant Equations:
1606929231890.png

I am really stuck at this question, i would appreciate any tips you have. I already try to goes with series but the calculation is getting harder and tiring, so probably this is not the right way.

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Edit: I got a correct answer by assuming a left going and a right going power at each of the two surfaces. I then used the reflectivity as ## R=1-\epsilon ## and multiplied this by the incident power (per unit area), and added this term to ## \epsilon \sigma T^4 ## to get the emerging power from the surface. You do this for both surfaces. You then get expressions for left going and right going power inside the cavity.
additional note: I initially misread their nomenclature. They do have the correct answer.

Edit 2: I have now also worked it by summing two geometric series. That method is also fairly straightforward=if you show a little of your own attempt at this method, I can probably show you any steps that you might be missing.
Hint: Compute the power incident on the ## T_2 ## surface that originates from the first surface using a series. Next compute the power that is incident on the ## T_2 ## surface that originated from the same surface using a series. They are both geometric series, and are readily summed. Once you have that, what is the power absorbed by the second surface?

Last edited: