Differentiating Black Body Energy Density: Seeking Answers

In summary, the Bob solved the differentiation for low frequencies, and found that the Energy Density is 8 pi nu^3 h/c^3 (e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}}-1).
The Bob
Hi all,

I hope everyone is well and that life is treating you all good.

I am going to be honest with my question and say that I have not tried to do it myself yet. I, unfortunately, do not have time now to try and then repost so I do hope you will all forgive me for just stating a question. I do intent to attempt it tonight incase I can do it but for safety sake I am going to ask here as well, as on inspection it does not look to simple.

I will also say that this is for a University problem set that I have to do so, in a way it is homework. If the Mentors wish to move the thread then please do so and let me know via the messaging service please.

The problem is this: I need to differentiate the formula for the Energy Density of a Black Body:

[tex]U(\nu) = \frac{8 \pi \nu^3 h}{c^3 (e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}} - 1)}[/tex]

So I need: [tex] \frac{dU}{d \nu} = 0[/tex]

As I said, I have not attempted it but please assume I understand the main rules of A-leve Mathematics. Again, I apologise for not having attempted it but I am in a rush and really cannot do it before I go. I will attempt it tonight and report what I find tomorrow but it maybe too little too late.

Thanks in advance.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Please note that there is a h (for Planck's Constant) missing from the numberate of the equation and that dU by dv needs to equal 0, in the end. See next post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Correct equations

[tex]U(\nu) = \frac{8 \pi \nu^3 h}{c^3 (e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}} - 1)}[/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{dU}{d \nu} = 0[/tex]

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

As promised, I attempted the differentiation myself last night.

I got to [tex]\frac{dU}{d \nu} = \frac{8 \pi h \nu^2}{c^3} \cdot \frac{e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}}(3 - \frac{h \nu}{kT}) - 3}{e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}(e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT} - 2) + 1}[/tex]

but something tells me I did the differentiation wrong in the first place. I used the equation as a quotient but did nothing with the T, because it is a constant for different graphs but can be varied.

Can anyone shine a million watt torch's light on this problem please.

Cheers,

The Bob (2004 ©)

Don't worry about it guys. I solved it for low frequencies and had the correct magnitude. I also used Maple for a more accurate value.

Thanks for all the help. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is black body energy density?

Black body energy density refers to the amount of thermal energy contained within a given volume or area of a black body, which is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits energy at all wavelengths. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is related to the temperature of the black body.

2. How is black body energy density calculated?

The black body energy density is calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the energy emitted by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. Mathematically, it is expressed as E = σT⁴, where E is the energy density, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What factors affect black body energy density?

The black body energy density is mainly affected by the temperature of the black body and its surface area. Other factors that can influence it include the material of the black body, the surrounding environment, and the wavelength of the radiation being emitted or absorbed.

4. Why is black body energy density important?

Black body energy density is an important concept in various fields, such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and materials science. It helps us understand the behavior of black bodies and the transfer of thermal energy. It also has applications in the design of efficient energy systems and in the study of radiation from celestial objects.

5. How is black body energy density related to the greenhouse effect?

The greenhouse effect is a phenomenon where certain gases in the Earth's atmosphere trap thermal radiation and prevent it from escaping into space, resulting in an increase in temperature. The black body energy density is related to this effect as it helps us understand how different wavelengths of radiation interact with different materials and their impact on the Earth's energy balance.