1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Body Work

1. Oct 7, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

I hope everyone is well and that life is treating you all good.

I am going to be honest with my question and say that I have not tried to do it myself yet. I, unfortunately, do not have time now to try and then repost so I do hope you will all forgive me for just stating a question. I do intent to attempt it tonight incase I can do it but for safety sake I am going to ask here as well, as on inspection it does not look to simple.

I will also say that this is for a University problem set that I have to do so, in a way it is homework. If the Mentors wish to move the thread then please do so and let me know via the messaging service please.

The problem is this: I need to differentiate the formula for the Energy Density of a Black Body:

[tex]U(\nu) = \frac{8 \pi \nu^3 h}{c^3 (e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}} - 1)}[/tex]

So I need: [tex] \frac{dU}{d \nu} = 0[/tex]

As I said, I have not attempted it but please assume I understand the main rules of A-leve Mathematics. Again, I apologise for not having attempted it but I am in a rush and really cannot do it before I go. I will attempt it tonight and report what I find tomorrow but it maybe too little too late.

Thanks in advance.

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Please note that there is a h (for Planck's Constant) missing from the numberate of the equation and that dU by dv needs to equal 0, in the end. See next post.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2
    Correct equations

[tex]U(\nu) = \frac{8 \pi \nu^3 h}{c^3 (e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}} - 1)}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{dU}{d \nu} = 0[/tex]

The Bob (2004 ©)
  4. Oct 8, 2006 #3
    As promised, I attempted the differentiation myself last night.

I got to [tex]\frac{dU}{d \nu} = \frac{8 \pi h \nu^2}{c^3} \cdot \frac{e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}}(3 - \frac{h \nu}{kT}) - 3}{e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT}(e^{\frac{h \nu}{kT} - 2) + 1}[/tex]

but something tells me I did the differentiation wrong in the first place. I used the equation as a quotient but did nothing with the T, because it is a constant for different graphs but can be varied.

Can anyone shine a million watt torch's light on this problem please.

The Bob (2004 ©)
  5. Oct 12, 2006 #4
    Don't worry about it guys. I solved it for low frequencies and had the correct magnitude. I also used Maple for a more accurate value.

Thanks for all the help. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?