Black hole moving at the SOL.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a photon becoming so energetic in a particular frame of reference that it creates an event horizon and forms a black hole. However, this is not possible as the existence of an event horizon is frame-independent and the source of a gravitational field is the stress-energy tensor, not just the energy of the photon. This means that other factors such as momentum and pressure also contribute to the gravitational field. The gravitational field of a rapidly moving object is described by the Aichelburg-Sexl ultraboost solution in general relativity. Therefore, the answer to the original question is still no.
mrspeedybob
I know that in scenarios where QM and GR are both applicable the answerers come out ridiculous. I believe this may be one of those scenarios. It is also possible that I have some misunderstanding that leads to a ridiculous answer. My question is which of these is the case.

A photon is traveling through empty space. A spaceship is traveling in the opposite directions at such a velocity that the photon is extremely blue shifted. It is shifted to such a high frequency that in the ships frame of reference, it has enough energy to form an event horizon. The ship and the photon collide. Does the crew observe their ship being hit by a microscopic black hole traveling at the speed of light? How do they reconcile this with the idea that no massive object can travel at C?

An observer wittinesses the collision from a nearby planet. In his frame of reference the photon is just a high energy photon. What does he observe and how can it be reconciled with the observations made by the crew of the ship?

Physics news on Phys.org
mrspeedybob said:
A photon is traveling through empty space. A spaceship is traveling in the opposite directions at such a velocity that the photon is extremely blue shifted. It is shifted to such a high frequency that in the ships frame of reference, it has enough energy to form an event horizon.

This is a common misconception. The existence of an event horizon is frame-independent, so you don't get one by changing into a different frame of reference.

This is a classical issue, not a quantum-mechanical one. The reasoning is the same as if the photon was replaced by a baseball.

I understand in the baseball scenario that the relativistic mass is a misnomer, in that it is not equivalent to gravitational mass. Therefore, no event horizon forms as "relativistic mass" increases.

My proposed scenario seems different to me in that the object in question is a photon, and therefore, has no rest mass.

It must have gravitational mass because it has momentum and can be deflected by the gravitational field of a massive body. Conservation of momentum dictates that the massive body must also change momentum. If the energy of a photon increases as it's wavelength decreases then it's momentum, and gravitational influence, should also increase. Why is this not the case?

The source of the gravitational field is the stress-energy tensor, not the mass or the energy-momentum vector.

Yes, I know this thread is over a month old but I'm still stumped on the same question. I did come across this recently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQTAJ50A44&feature=relmfu

Around time stamp 40:00 Mr. Susskind talks about energy gravitating. I believe he's a credible source.

Back to my original question...
Given that energy gravitates
And
The energy of a photon is frame dependent

Can a photon be so energetic in a particular frame of reference that it gravitates enough to form an event horizon. If not, why?

mrspeedybob said:
And

Can a photon be so energetic in a particular frame of reference that it gravitates enough to form an event horizon. If not, why?

Well, you've already been given answers...

bcrowell said:
The source of the gravitational field is the stress-energy tensor, not the mass or the energy-momentum vector.
Energy contributes but so do other factors.

bcrowell said:
The existence of an event horizon is frame-independent, so you don't get one by changing into a different frame of reference.

You might also like to try If you go too fast, do you become a black hole?

mrspeedybob said:
Yes, I know this thread is over a month old but I'm still stumped on the same question. I did come across this recently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYQTAJ50A44&feature=relmfu

Around time stamp 40:00 Mr. Susskind talks about energy gravitating. I believe he's a credible source.

Back to my original question...
And

You've sort of missed the point, presumably because you heard the words "stress energy tensor" in the previous post (at least I hope you noticed them!)

Bcrowell said:

and don't know what they mean. Perhaps you've looked them up some, and perhaps not, I don't know.

The very short simple-speak version above would go something like "energy gravitates, but so does momentum, and pressure - but while they gravitate, they don't do so in a way you can just plug simply into Newton's law to get the answer."

If you want to understand it more precisely, I think you'll need to understand the stress energy tensor, and the Riemann curvature tensor, for starters. But you should be able to understand that the answer to your question is "no", even if you don't understand the details. A very hyper-relativistic mass would NOT be a black hole. It may or may not be helpful for you to know that the name of the solution that DOES describe a rapidly moving object (one that would have a low mass at rest) is the Aichelburg–Sexl ultraboost,

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Aichelburg–Sexl_ultraboost&oldid=426066275

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0110032

The second paper (the arxiv paper) more-or-less completely describes the gravitational field of such a boosted particle in the way that's perfectly natural for general relativity - i.e. through the Riemann curvature tensor. Unfortunately, it's unclear how much use this will be to you, even if we do explain that the Riemann curvature tensor is very much like the tidal force in Newtonian gravity.

As the second paper mentions, the gravitational field of the ultraboost is analogous to the electric field of a rapidly moving charge, which is also an impulsive wave.

Anyway, maybe I've gone on too much. The main thing to remember is that the answer to your original question is still "No, it doesn't form a black hole", just as it was before.

1. What is a black hole moving at the speed of light?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape from it. When a black hole is moving at the speed of light, it means that its velocity is equivalent to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Can a black hole actually move at the speed of light?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that black holes can move at the exact speed of light. However, they can get very close to it, especially if they are spinning rapidly. The maximum speed that a black hole can reach is just below the speed of light due to the effects of general relativity.

3. What happens to objects that get caught in a black hole moving at the speed of light?

If an object gets caught in a black hole moving at the speed of light, it would be subjected to tremendous gravitational forces. The object would be stretched and torn apart due to the intense gravitational pull, a process known as spaghettification. Eventually, the object would be fully consumed by the black hole.

4. How does a black hole's motion affect its surroundings?

A black hole's motion can have a significant impact on its surroundings. As it moves through space, it can interact with and distort nearby objects, such as stars and gas clouds. Its immense gravitational pull can also influence the motion and behavior of other objects in its vicinity.

5. Is it possible for a black hole moving at the speed of light to disappear?

No, it is not possible for a black hole to disappear. According to the laws of physics, mass and energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. Therefore, a black hole will always have a gravitational pull and will continue to exist, even if it is moving at the speed of light.