Is Black Hole-Generated Dark Energy a Viable Theory?

In summary, the conversation discussed a theory that suggests black holes are responsible for creating dark energy. However, this theory is highly unlikely and not supported by scientific evidence. The conversation also clarified some misconceptions about black holes and their role in galaxy formation, as well as the difference between dark matter and dark energy. Overall, the theory of black holes creating dark energy is not widely accepted and lacks scientific backing.
binbots
First of I am not a scientist, just a big fan. So I am sorry for any incorrect terminology. A few years back I remember reading a article on the various theories pertaining to Dark energy. I think it may have been in a Scientific American. After the article was done talking about the most popular theories it briefly mentioned a few other theories that are intriguing but have to yet gained any traction. One of these was that Black holes are creating dark energy. Since I have never come across any more information of such a theory I assume it has a major flaw. I was hoping someone here could point it out so I can stop thinking about it.
The reason I can not stop thinking about it is because to me it seems to make sense in few ways. First, if particles fall into a black hole they become Non-observable. Particles should not just disappear into a singularity but become infinite Non-observable probability waves? Non-observable expanding waves sounds a lot like Non-observable expanding space (dark energy) to me. 2. I always hear how dark energy seems to be this outside energy penetrating our universe. I also hear how energy disappears from our universe into black holes. But energy is never created (dark energy) or destroyed (black holes). So is it not logical to think that black holes must be the mechanism for turning observable energy (gravity) into non-observable energy (space).
I have a few other ways in which such a theory makes sense to me. But no point in writing to much for a theory which no traction. So if anyone can shed some light on this dark matter it would be much appreciated. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of this theory and it doesn't seem to make much sense to me, so I'm highly skeptical of it.

binbots said:
The reason I can not stop thinking about it is because to me it seems to make sense in few ways. First, if particles fall into a black hole they become Non-observable. Particles should not just disappear into a singularity but become infinite Non-observable probability waves?

Note that particles disappear behind the event horizon, not the singularity. Also, "infinite non-observable probability waves" doesn't make any sense. The wavefunction of a particle, which I assume is what you're talking about, is already not observable. At least not directly. We can't look at a particle and see its wavefunction.

binbots said:
Non-observable expanding waves sounds a lot like Non-observable expanding space (dark energy) to me.

It is not the same at all. The expansion of space is a phenomenon whereby the scale of space increases over time. It has nothing to do with waves.

binbots said:
I always hear how dark energy seems to be this outside energy penetrating our universe.

Extremely unlikely. I've never even heard of this before when discussing dark energy here at PF, so it's unlikely to be a popular idea for cosmologists.

binbots said:
I also hear how energy disappears from our universe into black holes.

This is entirely wrong. Energy does not disappear through a black hole.

binbots said:
So is it not logical to think that black holes must be the mechanism for turning observable energy (gravity) into non-observable energy (space).

It is not. Spacetime is not made of energy and black holes don't turn gravitational potential energy into some mysterious form.

I'd expand more on what science thinks dark energy is, but I have a class to get to. I'll try to get back to you later.

Likes binbots
Wow. Seems like this idea is way out there. Now I am starting to think maybe I didn't see it in Scientific American. Sounds like something I just may have come across on the internet. LOL. Once again sorry if all the terminology is way off. I only heard the summery and the details came from my own uneducated mind.

If matter falls into a star the mass of the star increases. The total energy stays the same.
If matter falls into a black hole, the mass of the black hole increases. The total energy stays the same.

Nothing mysterious, and neither of them "generate dark energy". The difference is just the amount of light and matter that can escape from them.

Also, dark energy has the most powerful effects in regions without black holes (and without other matter).

If a black hole doesn't contain the matter then it would have no mass. From this view point a black hole is just that, a hole. The energy has changed form. Let me try this another way. Maybe gravitational energy is flipped inside out when it passes through a singularity and becomes reversed expanding energy. If gravity was the only force needed for galaxy formation then there would be no formation at all. Everything will fall straight towards the black hole. Much like how a hurricane on Earth is the result of two opposing storms colliding, a galaxies formation can be seen as the interaction between between two opposing forces, Gravity and dark matter.

binbots said:
Maybe gravitational energy is flipped inside out when it passes through a singularity and becomes reversed expanding energy.
That does not make sense.
binbots said:
If gravity was the only force needed for galaxy formation then there would be no formation at all.
There would, but this is an unrelated topic.
Black holes are not necessary for galaxy formation, and their overall influence is small.

Dark matter is attractive - it helps forming galaxies. It is dominant there - you can model the formation of galaxies purely with dark matter, and then assume other matter follows where dark matter is.

Note that dark matter and dark energy are completely different things. They just share "dark" in their name because we don't see them in our labs.

Sorry. I meant to say dark energy. Dark matter like all matter would also be fuel for dark energy.

binbots said:
If a black hole doesn't contain the matter then it would have no mass. From this view point a black hole is just that, a hole. The energy has changed form.

Yet black holes do in fact have mass, so our observations already disprove your idea.

binbots said:
Maybe gravitational energy is flipped inside out when it passes through a singularity and becomes reversed expanding energy.

As MFB pointed out, this makes no sense. Energy is not a 'thing' that can just be moved around and altered. It is a property of objects and systems of objects.

binbots said:
If gravity was the only force needed for galaxy formation then there would be no formation at all. Everything will fall straight towards the black hole.

That is incorrect. If gravity were the only force, then even less material would fall into any black hole since matter couldn't accrete and lose the necessary energy to fall in.

binbots said:
Much like how a hurricane on Earth is the result of two opposing storms colliding, a galaxies formation can be seen as the interaction between between two opposing forces, Gravity and dark matter.

This is also incorrect. Dark energy has essentially zero effect on individual galaxies. Dark matter would actually help galaxies form thanks to the added mass and gravity.

Unfortunately the speculation in this thread has passed beyond reasonable levels. PF exists to teach people about current, mainstream physics, not to discuss personal ideas, opinions, and theories. Thread locked.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with such strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How big can a black hole be?

There are two types of black holes: stellar-mass black holes and supermassive black holes. Stellar-mass black holes can range from a few times the mass of the sun to about 100 times the mass of the sun. Supermassive black holes can have masses equivalent to billions of suns.

3. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up about 68% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

4. How is dark energy different from dark matter?

Dark energy and dark matter are two separate and distinct phenomena. Dark matter is a type of matter that does not interact with light and is thought to make up about 27% of the total energy in the universe. It is responsible for the gravitational effects observed in galaxies. Dark energy, on the other hand, is a form of energy that is responsible for the expansion of the universe.

5. Can we see black holes and dark energy?

We cannot see black holes directly as they do not emit or reflect any light. However, we can indirectly observe their effects on surrounding matter and light. As for dark energy, it cannot be seen as it does not interact with light. Its existence is inferred through observations of the accelerating expansion of the universe.