Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black holes , gravity.

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    Scientists say that in mathematical terms in singularity all the math breaks down and you get infinity. But how come this be if the black hole formed from a star that had huge but still limited amount of matter/fuel in it, and that limited amount just got highly compressed.
    And if there even is a infinite thing in our universe and the universe itself I think shouldn't be infinite.
    So my question is why the numbers show us otherwise?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2
    Because our theories are wrong. Simple.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    for black holes they tried to unite GR with QM or something but I guess that didn't worked out too well?

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Yes, we have yet to develop a quantum theory for gravity. Our knowledge of physics at scales similar to a black hole is severely limited.

6. Sep 14, 2012 #5
    Just to clarify for the OP, its the immense density and small scale that causes Black Holes to expose the problems with our current theories, not the total mass and not the size.

7. Sep 14, 2012 #6
    This means at the scale of singularities, say around the order of Placnk scale, around 10-33 cm our models don't work so well...The 'infinity', described also as a divergence or a mathematical expression not well behaved, of models signals the likely breakdown of our approximations.

8. Sep 14, 2012 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The numbers predict an infinite density or zero volume. Density is mass divided by volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook