Unraveling the Mystery of Black Holes: The Paradox of Singularity and Infinity

In summary: So if the density were infinite, then the mass and volume would be zero. But this is not the case. Because our theories are wrong. Simple.
Crazymechanic
Scientists say that in mathematical terms in singularity all the math breaks down and you get infinity. But how come this be if the black hole formed from a star that had huge but still limited amount of matter/fuel in it, and that limited amount just got highly compressed.
And if there even is a infinite thing in our universe and the universe itself I think shouldn't be infinite.
So my question is why the numbers show us otherwise?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because our theories are wrong. Simple.

for black holes they tried to unite GR with QM or something but I guess that didn't worked out too well?

Crazymechanic said:
for black holes they tried to unite GR with QM or something but I guess that didn't worked out too well?

Yes, we have yet to develop a quantum theory for gravity. Our knowledge of physics at scales similar to a black hole is severely limited.

Drakkith said:
Yes, we have yet to develop a quantum theory for gravity. Our knowledge of physics at scales similar to a black hole is severely limited.

Just to clarify for the OP, its the immense density and small scale that causes Black Holes to expose the problems with our current theories, not the total mass and not the size.

Our knowledge of physics at scales similar to a black hole is severely limited.

This means at the scale of singularities, say around the order of Placnk scale, around 10-33 cm our models don't work so well...The 'infinity', described also as a divergence or a mathematical expression not well behaved, of models signals the likely breakdown of our approximations.

Crazymechanic said:
Scientists say that in mathematical terms in singularity all the math breaks down and you get infinity. But how come this be if the black hole formed from a star that had huge but still limited amount of matter/fuel in it, and that limited amount just got highly compressed.
And if there even is a infinite thing in our universe and the universe itself I think shouldn't be infinite.
The numbers predict an infinite density or zero volume. Density is mass divided by volume.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape from it. This occurs when a massive star dies and collapses, creating a point of infinite density known as a singularity.

2. How do black holes form?

Black holes form when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and can no longer support its own weight. As the star collapses, its core becomes infinitely dense, creating a singularity. The remaining mass of the star is then compressed into an extremely small and dense point, surrounded by an event horizon, which marks the point of no return for anything that gets too close.

3. What is the paradox of singularity and infinity?

The paradox of singularity and infinity refers to the fact that a black hole's singularity, where the laws of physics break down, is surrounded by an event horizon, beyond which time and space are distorted by the immense gravitational pull. This creates a paradox as it is impossible for anything, including light, to escape from the singularity, yet it is also impossible to observe what is happening inside it.

4. Do black holes last forever?

According to current scientific understanding, black holes do not last forever. Over time, black holes can lose mass through a process called Hawking radiation, which causes them to shrink and eventually evaporate. However, this process takes an extremely long time, and the lifespan of a black hole is estimated to be billions of years.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole once it crosses the event horizon. The gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape, which is why black holes are invisible to the naked eye. However, some particles can escape through quantum effects, known as Hawking radiation, but this process is extremely slow and does not significantly affect the overall mass of the black hole.