Black Holes & Time: How Do We Observe Movement?

In summary, black holes are objects in space that consume matter. They move by eating away at the surrounding matter.
Jacob Gable
I'm not a physicist so I am very igorant on this subject. From I know time gets slower and slower as you approach a black hole and an outside observer would never actually see matter being gobbled up. But I have read about stars get observed getting eaten away. How is this possible? And how do black holes move? If time essentially stops in one how do we observe it move in space?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are experiencing a very common misconception brought about by poor (and even fallacious) descriptions in pop-sci presentations.

Jacob Gable said:
I'm not a physicist so I am very igorant on this subject. From I know time gets slower and slower as you approach a black hole
No, it does not. It just looks that way to a distant observer.
and an outside observer would never actually see matter being gobbled up.
Correct.

But I have read about stars get observed getting eaten away. How is this possible?
The matter being eaten appears to slow down as it approaches the Event Horizon but we see it headed that way and infer correctly that despite how it looks to us, it is in fact falling into the Event Horizon.

And how do black holes move?
just like everything else in the universe moves.
If time essentially stops in one how do we observe it move in space?
Since time does NOT slow down, there's no issue.

Might I ask whether its true that matter or energy falling into a black hole always leaves information on the event horizon?

(Talk about Big Brother surveillance...)

RelativeRelativity said:
Might I ask whether its true that matter or energy falling into a black hole always leaves information on the event horizon?

(Talk about Big Brother surveillance...)
That's what Leonard Susskind believes and finally convinced Stephen Hawking of (Google "The Holographic Principle"). Personally, I just don't get the holographic principle at all but I do concede that those guys know more than I do.

Susskind wrote a book about it "The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics"

Likes RelativeRelativity
Thank you, I'm a little familiar. If I believe an electron can be everywhere at once I'm at the mercy of experts from there on lol

RelativeRelativity said:
Thank you, I'm a little familiar. If I believe an electron can be everywhere at once I'm at the mercy of experts from there on lol
Yes, but an electron can NOT be everywhere at once. That's another pop-sci fallacy. It can be ANYWHERE until measured, but that's a far cry from being everywhere at once.

Likes RelativeRelativity
Thanks I hadn't planned to mention it, you get a lot thrown in when googling for research.

If electrons really are everywhere at once I urgently need better reading glasses.

Likes RelativeRelativity

Related to Black Holes & Time: How Do We Observe Movement?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is an astronomical object with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under the force of its own gravity.

2. How do we observe black holes?

We cannot directly observe black holes, but we can observe their effects on nearby objects. For example, we can see the light emitted by matter that is being pulled into a black hole, or observe the distortion of light as it passes near a black hole.

3. How do black holes affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the strong gravitational pull of a black hole causes time to slow down near its event horizon (the point of no return). This effect, known as time dilation, means that time moves slower for an observer near a black hole compared to an observer further away.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

No, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has passed the event horizon. This includes light, matter, and even information. Anything that gets too close will be pulled in and crushed at the singularity, the point of infinite density at the center of a black hole.

5. How do black holes move?

Black holes do not move in the traditional sense, as they are not propelled by any external forces. However, they can grow in size by absorbing matter and merging with other black holes. This can cause them to move through space at high speeds, but their movement is primarily determined by the gravitational pull of other objects in their vicinity.