Black holes, white dwarfs and neutron stars-Shapiro, Teukolsky

In summary, to find the mean kinetic energy of an electron in a degenerate gas, we can use the equation \bar{\epsilon}=\frac{\int_{0}^{p_f} \epsilon(p) p^2 dp}{\int_{0}^{p_f} p^2 dp}, where \epsilon(p) is the energy density equation for a degenerate gas in the nonrelativistic limit. By integrating from 0 to p_f and plugging in the appropriate values, we can get the result of \frac{3}{5}E'_f.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Hello, I try to recompute all exercises in this book and sometime I hit the snag :) One of the first is:
Exercise 2.6 (page 28)
Show that mean kinetic energy of an electron in a degenerate gas is [itex]\frac{3}{5}E'_f [/itex] in the nonrelativistic limit and [itex]\frac{4}{5}E_f [/itex] in relativistic limit. Here [itex]E'_f=E_f-m_ec^2=p_f^2/2m_e [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for nonrelativistic limit [itex]\epsilon=\frac{m_ec^2}{\lambda_e^3 \pi^2}\chi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\chi(x)->\frac{x^3}{3\pi^2} [/itex]. So my idea was to integrate this energy density from 0 to x-fermi, where [itex]x=p/mc[/itex]. But result [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3h^3}cp_f^4[/itex] doesn't recover their.
Do have anybody some suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this exercise. It seems like you are on the right track by using the energy density equation for a degenerate gas in the nonrelativistic limit. However, I see that you are integrating from 0 to x-fermi, which may not be the correct range for the integral.

To find the mean kinetic energy of an electron in a degenerate gas, we can use the equation:

\bar{\epsilon}=\frac{\int_{0}^{p_f} \epsilon(p) p^2 dp}{\int_{0}^{p_f} p^2 dp}

Where \epsilon(p) is the energy density equation for a degenerate gas in the nonrelativistic limit.

By plugging in the appropriate values and integrating, you should be able to get the result of \frac{3}{5}E'_f.

I hope this helps and good luck with your computations!

1. What are black holes?

Black holes are regions in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape. They are formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How are white dwarfs formed?

White dwarfs are formed when a star, usually a low or medium mass star, runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity. The outer layers of the star are blown away, leaving behind a small, extremely dense core.

3. What is the difference between a white dwarf and a neutron star?

The main difference between a white dwarf and a neutron star is their size and density. White dwarfs are smaller and less dense than neutron stars. White dwarfs are supported by electron degeneracy pressure, while neutron stars are supported by neutron degeneracy pressure.

4. How are neutron stars formed?

Neutron stars are formed when a massive star, usually 8 to 30 times the mass of the Sun, runs out of fuel and collapses in on itself. The core of the star becomes so dense that protons and electrons combine to form neutrons, hence the name "neutron" star.

5. Can anything escape from a black hole?

Nothing, including light, can escape from a black hole once it has passed the event horizon, which is the point of no return. However, some theories suggest that particles can escape through Hawking radiation, but this has not been observed yet.