1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Blackbody emission in 2D coordinates

1. Nov 14, 2014 #1
    The spectral radiance of a blackbody has units of W·sr-1·m-2·Hz-1. How do I deal with these units if I want to think about a 2D problem of radiation in Cartesian coordinates? I assume that instead of a sphere of emission (which would result in artificial decrease in intensity with the inverse square of the distance) I should then approximate emission from the cross-section of a cylinder. What kind of changes to Planck's equation, its units, or some other condition of its application, must be made for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You don't need changes, you can think of everything as "per meter of height" (simulating a 3D universe that is completely homogeneous in one dimension).

4. Nov 15, 2014 #3
    I agree about simulating a 3D universe in which one dimension is homogeneous. However, I do not understand how to treat this mathematically because of the intrinsically 3D nature of radiation. It seems I need to find the radiation over a great circle of a sphere and then integrate in the third dimension to give a cylinder of 1 unit thickness. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to do it.

5. Nov 15, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no need to make spheres, and I don't see where you try to make them.
    The total radiation from a surface will be in a solid angle of 2 pi with a uniform distribution over your single 2D angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook