Blackbody radiation formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the Planck's blackbody radiation formula without the inclusion of stimulated emission. The formula includes the upper and lower energy levels (N_n and N_m) and the frequency (h\nu) and temperature (T) factors. The formula is derived by equating the ratio of N_n to N_m with the ratio of B u(\lambda,T) to A, and taking the limit as T approaches infinity to get the value of u(\lambda,T). The formula shows that as T increases, the term e^{-h \nu / kT} approaches 1, making the formula the same as Planck's formula. The conversation also mentions the historical discovery of the formula by W. Wien and the potential
UrbanXrisis
I am to show Planck's blackbody radiation formula without the stimulated emission:

level n is the upper energy level, level m is the lower energy level:

[tex]N_m B u(\lambda,T)=N_n A[/tex]

[tex]\frac{N_n}{N_m}=\frac{B u(\lambda,T)}{A}[/tex]

[tex]N_n=ce^{-E_n /kT}[/tex]

[tex]N_m=ce^{-E_m /kT}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{N_n}{N_m}=e^{-h \nu / kT}[/tex]

[tex]e^{-h \nu / kT}=\frac{B u(\lambda,T)}{A}[/tex]

as T --> infinity

[tex]\frac{B u(\lambda,T)}{A}=1[/tex]

[tex]u(\lambda,T)= \frac{A}{B e^{h \nu / kT}} [/tex]

this is the formula for blackbody radiation if the stimulated emission was not placed into the equation right?

should I include that [tex]\frac{A}{B}=\frac{8 \pi hc}{ \lambda^5}[/tex]?

I am also to find the range of wavelengths that is almost the same as Planck's formula... since the A/B for both formulas are the same... then i should find when [tex]\frac{1}{e^{hc/ \lambda kT}-1}= \frac{1}{e^{hc/ \lambda kT}}[/tex] are aprox. equal?

I am also asked who had already discovered this formula? I have no clue, but my best guess is Rayleigh?

I am also asked which modern high tech device would not work if blackbody radiation was described by this new formula? my best guess would be the laser? since it needs stimulated emission to produce light.

how is my work for these problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] A/B [/tex] must be written in terms of the frequency of the electromagnetic radiation being subject to quantization. For small T, which means large values of the exponent of "e", the formula had been previously found by W.Wien.

Daniel.

1. What is the blackbody radiation formula?

The blackbody radiation formula, also known as Planck's law, describes the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a perfect blackbody at a given temperature. It is given by the equation I(λ, T) = 2hc²/λ⁵ * (e^(hc/λkT) - 1), where I is intensity, λ is the wavelength of the radiation, T is the temperature of the blackbody, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and k is the Boltzmann constant.

2. How is the blackbody radiation formula derived?

The blackbody radiation formula was derived by Max Planck in 1900 using the principles of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. He proposed that the energy of a blackbody is not continuous, but is instead emitted in discrete packets called quanta. This led to the development of the formula, which accurately describes the spectral distribution of radiation emitted by a blackbody at any temperature.

3. What is a blackbody and why is it important in the blackbody radiation formula?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits radiation at all wavelengths. It is important in the blackbody radiation formula because it serves as a standard reference for understanding the emission and absorption of electromagnetic radiation. While a true blackbody does not exist, many objects can approximate its properties, including stars and planets.

4. How does the blackbody radiation formula relate to the concept of temperature?

The blackbody radiation formula is directly related to temperature, as it describes the spectral distribution of radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. As the temperature of a blackbody increases, the intensity of the radiation emitted also increases, and the peak of the radiation shifts to shorter wavelengths. This relationship between temperature and radiation emission is known as Wien's displacement law, which is a direct consequence of the blackbody radiation formula.

5. What are some real-world applications of the blackbody radiation formula?

The blackbody radiation formula has many real-world applications, including in the fields of astrophysics, cosmology, and thermodynamics. It is used to study the temperature and composition of stars, to understand the cosmic microwave background radiation, and to develop technologies such as infrared cameras and thermal imaging devices. The formula also has practical applications in industries such as energy, where it is used to optimize the efficiency of thermal systems.