Blade Runner -- Prosthesis propulsion question

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone seeking help with understanding the Physics behind Oscar Pistorius' prosthetic carbon fibre legs. They are specifically interested in knowing what calculations are involved in determining the angles of the blades and how to calculate the thrust. They also mention that they may need some assistance as it has been a while since high school. A link to a Wikipedia page is provided as a starting point for their research.
Arion
Hi there. I have come to this forum to try and find someone able of helping me with some (im sure) basic Physics. I'm trying to work out the Physics behind the Prosthetic carbon fibre legs that Oscar Pistorius uses, a diagram would be incredible! I want to know what calculations would be involved in working out the angles of the blades and how to work out the thrust. I understand this is probably a pretty simple question, but it has been a long time since high school! Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the concept of "prosthesis propulsion" in Blade Runner?

Prosthesis propulsion refers to the use of advanced technology, specifically prosthetic limbs, to enhance the physical abilities and movements of individuals in the world of Blade Runner. In this universe, individuals with disabilities or injuries can use prosthetic limbs that are powered by advanced propulsion systems to perform tasks that would otherwise be impossible.

2. How does "prosthesis propulsion" work in the world of Blade Runner?

In Blade Runner, prosthesis propulsion is achieved through the use of advanced technologies such as electromechanical actuators, hydraulic systems, and advanced motors. These technologies work together to provide individuals with enhanced strength, speed, and agility, allowing them to perform tasks that would otherwise be beyond their physical capabilities.

3. Are there any limitations to "prosthesis propulsion" in Blade Runner?

Yes, there are limitations to prosthesis propulsion in Blade Runner. While the technology is highly advanced, it is not without its flaws. The prosthetic limbs can malfunction or break down, just like any other technology. Additionally, the use of prosthesis propulsion requires regular maintenance and energy sources, which can be difficult to obtain in the dystopian world of Blade Runner.

4. How does "prosthesis propulsion" impact the society in Blade Runner?

The concept of prosthesis propulsion has a significant impact on the society in Blade Runner. It allows individuals with disabilities or injuries to continue functioning and contributing to society. However, it also creates a divide between those who can afford this advanced technology and those who cannot, widening the gap between the rich and the poor. Additionally, it raises ethical questions about the use of technology to enhance human abilities.

5. Is "prosthesis propulsion" a possibility in our world?

While we do have advanced prosthetic technology in our world, the concept of prosthesis propulsion as seen in Blade Runner is not yet a possibility. However, advancements in technology and research in the field of robotics and biomechanics may make it a reality in the future. However, it also raises important ethical considerations and questions about the impact of such technology on society.