Can These Equations Be Represented in Bloch Form?

In summary, the given equations sin(Πx/a)e6Πix/Na and e2Πi/a(7/N+4)x can be represented in Bloch form. This form is identified as Ψ(x) = u(x) eikx, where k is a vector and u(x) is the function that needs to be identified. The first equation has a k vector of 6Π/Na and the second equation has a k vector of 2Π/a(7/N+4). Both equations can be written in 1D form as Ψ(x) = eikx.
jbowers9

Homework Statement

Given: sin(Πx/a)e6Πix/Na
and e2Πi/a(7/N+4)x
can these equations be represented in Bloch form?[/B]

Homework Equations

Given that Bloch form can be represented as:
Ψ(x) = u(x) eikx[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(Πx/a)eikx w/n = 3
and eikxe8Πix/a w/n = 7
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Wy do you come with equations instead of Bloch forms ?

The course I'm taking identifies "Bloch form" as Ψ(x) = u(x) eikx.
I'm not sure I understand your question. My first answer I believe fills the bill, but the second one has u(x) in imaginary form and I'm not sure about it.

k = 2Πn/Na

A Bloch wave is of the form you give, so if you want to write the funtions given in the problem statement in such manner, you are supposed to identify ##\vec k## and ##u(\vec r)##. For the first function, ##\psi(\vec r) = \sin({\pi x\over a})\; e^{i {6\pi \over Na} x} ##, what would be ##\vec k## ? and ##u(\vec r)## ?

##\vec k## is a vector, but I think you almost got it !

jbowers9 said:
I'm not sure I understand your question
Well, sin(Πx/a)eikx w/n = 3 looks like an equation to me, not a ##\psi(\vec r)##

It's in one dimension. Why r vector? And what is k vector?

1. What is Bloch form?

Bloch form is a mathematical representation used to describe the behavior of particles in a periodic system. It is commonly used in solid state physics and quantum mechanics.

2. How is Bloch form different from other mathematical representations?

Bloch form takes into account the periodic nature of a system, while other representations may not. It also allows for the description of wave-like behavior of particles.

3. Why is Bloch form important in scientific research?

Bloch form is important because it allows for the accurate description and prediction of the behavior of particles in periodic systems, which is essential in fields such as materials science and quantum computing.

4. Can all equations be represented in Bloch form?

No, not all equations can be represented in Bloch form. This form is specifically designed for systems with periodicity, so it may not be applicable to all types of equations.

5. How is Bloch form used in practical applications?

Bloch form is used in practical applications to understand and predict the behavior of electrons in materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors. It is also used in quantum computing to describe the behavior of qubits.