1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block on Wedge

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Attached in the files, scan from Resnick and Halliday. Also the answers (notice that I use a different meaning for [tex]u[/tex], but it shouldn't matter.

2. Relevant equations

Conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy.

3. The attempt at a solution

Initial Energy of the system is [tex]mgh[/tex], initial momentum is 0.
    I'll call the velocity of the wedge [tex]u[/tex] and the velocity of the block [tex]v[/tex].
    The equations:
    [tex]2mgh = mv^2 + Mu^2[/tex] - all potential energy goes to the velocities of both objects.
    [tex]Mu = -mv \cos \alpha[/tex] - conservation of momentum - only the horizontal component of [tex]v[/tex] is taken into consideration.

I end up having this as an answer:
    [tex]u = \sqrt{\frac{2gh}{M^2 + Mm \cos ^2 \alpha}}m \cos \alpha[/tex]
    Which is, not correct according to the answer.
    What did I do wrong?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't see the pictures pending approval, so I guessed at what the question is asking. I assumed that you are looking for the speed of the wedge and I got the same answer as you. What is the answer in the back of the book?

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    I'll type it in:
    A block of mass m rests on a wedge of mass M which, in turn, rests on a horizontal table, as shown in Fig. All surfaces are frictionless. If the system starts at rest with point P of the block a distance h above the table, find the velocity of the wedge the instant point P touches the table.

Answer is:
    [tex](\frac{u \cos \alpha}{\sqrt{1-u \cos ^2 \alpha}})\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

[tex]u = \frac{m}{m+M}[/tex]

It has some similarities to my answer, so I guess the general idea I had in mind was correct. My guess is my conservation equations are not accurate (because I don't feel sure about them).

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem with your expression is that the x component of the block's velocity is vblock*cosα relative to the wedge, not relative to the table. Relative to the table it is vblock*cosα - Vwedge.

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5
    so I need to replace it only in the momenton equation? What about the energy equation?

7. Aug 25, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You'll need to modify both equations.

8. Aug 25, 2009 #7
    Meaning in the energy equation the vertical component of the block's velocity stays the same while the horizontal is relative?
    I'll try.

9. Aug 25, 2009 #8
    So here is yet another attempt.
    I'm out of ideas.
    Where did I go wrong?

Attached Files:

10. Aug 26, 2009 #9

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I haven't had a chance to look at your attempt in detail (I will a bit later), but at first glance:
    (1) Your energy equation is OK.
    (2) Correct your momentum equation: The velocity of the wedge is -u (u is positive).

11. Aug 26, 2009 #10

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It works. You should correct your momentum equation as Doc Al has suggested. From the momentum equation you should get

[tex]v cos\alpha = \frac{M+m}{m}u[/tex]

In order not to confuse your u with the book's u, let

[tex]\frac{M+m}{m} = \frac{1}{\beta}[/tex] so that

[tex]v cos\alpha = \frac{u}{\beta}[/tex]

Put that in your energy equation and it should come out.

12. Aug 28, 2009 #11
    Ok, I got it. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook