Blocking terrestrial interference possible or not?

• Thread starter supernova1387
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interference
In summary, a mechanical engineer is seeking information on whether it is possible to block signals using a magnetic field. They are also interested in detecting the source of interference and potentially involving the FCC if necessary. It is suggested to increase the dish size and look for more subtle sources of interference.
supernova1387
Hello everyone. I am a mechanical engineer but I have a question which I hope someone can provide me some info. I was interested to know whether it is possible to block signals by creating a magnetic field or not.

I'm asking this question because some people live in places which have a lot of noise on TV due to a nearby power station etc. Is there any way to block these terrestrial interferences by making some kind of magnetic field and get a clear satellite picture?

I also want to be able to detect the approximate location of this noise. What do you reckon for this one?

I appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There is no magic magnetic bullet to solve this problem, I'm afraid. If there were, they'd be marketing them all over the place.
It isn't clear what is actually causing this interference but the best way to approach the problem could be to increase your dish size and get a few more dB of wanted signal and a bit more directivity.
Afaik, there aren't many sources of terrestrial interference that you could expect to be co-channel with your satellite transmissions so you may need to look for something more subtle - like malfunctioning down-converter or dodgy feeder (or even mis-allignment of the dish).
What form does this interference take? If it really is coming from a local source and it is at an unacceptable level, then the FCC might be interested. (That's the US body, I think)

1. Is it possible to completely block terrestrial interference?

It is difficult to completely block terrestrial interference, as it can come from a variety of sources and can be affected by environmental factors. However, with the use of advanced technology and proper shielding, it is possible to significantly reduce interference levels.

2. What are the main sources of terrestrial interference?

The main sources of terrestrial interference include nearby electronic devices, power lines, radio or TV transmissions, and natural phenomena such as lightning and solar activity.

3. Can interference be eliminated without affecting the quality of the signal?

In most cases, it is not possible to completely eliminate interference without affecting the quality of the signal. However, with proper filtering and signal processing techniques, interference can be minimized without significantly impacting the signal quality.

4. How can I determine if terrestrial interference is causing issues in my system?

If you are experiencing signal disruptions or poor signal quality, it is likely that terrestrial interference could be the cause. It is important to conduct a thorough assessment of your equipment and environment to identify potential sources of interference.

5. What steps can be taken to prevent terrestrial interference?

To prevent terrestrial interference, it is important to properly shield and ground electronic equipment, use high-quality cables and connectors, and implement filtering and signal processing techniques. It is also important to regularly monitor the signal and make adjustments as needed to mitigate interference.